Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
Not only can season tickets help you save money over the course of a season, they often come with a slew of perks like access to exclusive events, discounts on food and merch, and even meet-and-greets.
If you don’t have the cash on hand to pay for season tickets upfront, or would rather use your money in another way, you can potentially use a personal loan to pay for your tickets.
Personal loans typically come with reasonable interest rates and predictable repayment schedules.
But is taking out a season ticket loan a wise choice? If not, what alternatives do you have? This guide will help you review your options.
In this guide:
- Things to Consider Before Taking Out a Season Ticket Loan
- Season Ticket Loan Options
- Benefits of Using Personal Loans to Buy Season Tickets
- Risks of Using Personal Loans to Buy Season Tickets
- Alternative Financing Options
Things to Consider Before Taking Out a Season Ticket Loan
If you’re contemplating a personal loan to pay for your annual season ticket package, there are a few things you’ll need to consider.
- Your credit score. Your credit score is often the No. 1 factor your lender considers when determining your interest rate and other loan terms. Ideally, only borrowers with good to excellent credit should consider using a personal loan for season tickets.
- Your current finances. The last thing you want to do is default on a season ticket loan or take on more debt than you can handle. Before you apply for and accept a personal loan, make sure you can easily afford the monthly installment payments on your annual ticket plan.
- The interest rate. Even if you are approved for a loan, the interest rate you receive may outweigh the potential perks. If your goal is to save money on tickets, then you will need to consider the interest rate and overall cost of the personal loan to determine if you’ll actually end in the black when the season’s over. Of course, for some fans, it’s more about the experience.
- Any applicable fees. Similar to interest rates, personal loan fees — such as origination fees, application fees, and prepayment penalties — can all add to the total cost of the loan.
Personal Loan Lenders for Season Ticket Loans
If you’re still considering taking out a personal loan for season tickets, here are a few personal loan lenders you may want to consider. These lenders typically deposit loan proceeds in your bank account within a few days and require a single application form to simplify the process.
3.49% – 19.99%
$5,000 – $100,000
LightStream ranks as our best overall personal loan partner and is a great choice for borrowers with good-to-excellent credit scores. Keep in mind that LightStream’s minimum loan amount is $5,000, so smaller ticket purchases will leave you with leftover cash.
- Credit score category: Excellent, good
- Soft credit pull to check rates: Not available
- Deposit time: As soon as the same day
- Origination fee: 0%
- Late fee: None
- Discounts: 0.50% interest rate reduction for enrolling in autopay
- Repayment terms: 24 – 144 months
7.99% – 35.97%
$1,000 – $35,000
Upgrade offers loans to borrowers with lower credit scores that can be used to purchase season tickets. You can use Upgrade’s website to check your interest rate without affecting your credit score.
- Credit score category: Fair, bad
- Soft credit pull to check rates: Yes
- Deposit time: As soon as the next day
- Origination fee: 2.9% – 8%
- Late fee: $10
- Repayment terms: 36 or 60 months
6.27% – 35.99%1
$5,000 – $30,0002
Upstart allows borrowers to access their money in as fast as one business day3. This is a huge advantage if you need fast access to cash. Upstart is a good option for borrowers with fair credit or bad credit as they offer competitive rates and a large range of loan amounts.
- Credit score category: Fair, bad
- Soft credit pull to check rates: Yes
- Deposit time: As fast as one business day3
- Origination fee: 0% – 10%
- Late fee: $5 or 15% of payment (whichever is higher)
- Repayment terms: 36 months or 60 months1
For additional options, you can compare our picks for the best personal loans.
Benefits of Using Personal Loans to Buy Season Tickets
Under the right circumstances, using a personal loan to finance season tickets can decrease the overall cost of attending games and give you access to numerous fan perks; however, such benefits related to a season ticket purchase are typically limited to a specific borrower profile.
With that in mind, you may want to consider a season ticket loan if you have excellent credit and can probably qualify for a low interest rate. In addition, since rates and repayment terms are often contingent on a borrower’s annual income, it’s typically more beneficial for higher-earning fans with room in their budget to accommodate the payments.
Risks of Using Personal Loans to Buy Season Tickets
As you may have assumed, one of the primary factors involved in evaluating your risk as a borrower is your credit score. If you have average or below-average credit, chances are your interest rate makes season tickets may be a luxury you’ll want to reconsider.
Not only will a high-interest rate negate any benefits or savings you may enjoy, but you can also potentially place yourself in a financially compromising position. This is particularly true if your current budget doesn’t allow for much wiggle room.
Unfortunately, a personal loan will add to your overall debt, which can negatively impact your credit score. If you become unable to make your payments, the situation can become even more dire, sending your credit score plummeting.
Alternative Financing Options
For the most part, there is no such thing as a free loan, so using a personal loan to finance your season tickets may end up costing you far more than you saved. However, there may be alternative options.
One popular option is financing directly through the franchise. In this case, you’ll be placed on a payment plan for your tickets, allowing you to reap the benefits of season tickets without opting for third-party financing.
Keep in mind that franchise financing also comes with pros and cons, one being the recurring payment and any interest or fees you’ll be required to pay. As such, it’s important to review the financing agreement before proceeding.
In some cases, a credit card deal may also be a reasonable option, particularly if you can secure a 0% introductory APR offer and pay off the tickets before the promotion ends. Essentially, you’ll be using the card as an interest-free loan.
Season tickets are a great way to secure a regular spot in your favorite arena or stadium, but paying for them may take some planning. Although a personal loan may be a good option for borrowers with excellent credit and a high income, not every borrower will meet the eligibility criteria.
Some borrowers, particularly those who can’t secure prime interest rates, may be better off forgoing the season ticket costs and opting for individual weekly tickets as they fit into their budget.
1 The full range of available rates varies by state. The average 3-year loan offered across all lenders using the Upstart platform will have an APR of 15% and 36 monthly payments of $33 per $1,000 borrowed. There is no down payment and no prepayment penalty. Average APR is calculated based on 3-year rates offered in the last 1 month. Your APR will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will be approved.
2 Your loan amount will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will qualify for the full amount. Loans are not available in West Virginia or Iowa. The minimum loan amount in MA is $7,000. The minimum loan amount in Ohio is $6,000. The minimum loan amount in NM is $5100. The minimum loan amount in GA is $3,100.
3 If you accept your loan by 5pm EST (not including weekends or holidays), you will receive your funds the next business day. Loans used to fund education related expenses are subject to a 3 business day wait period between loan acceptance and funding in accordance with federal law.
Author: Jennifer Lobb