Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- In addition to personal loans, Upgrade offers lines of credit, free credit monitoring, and online education tools.
- Upgrade is best-suited for fair credit and bad credit borrowers.
- Upgrade loans are not available in all 50 states.
What we like:
Check your rate without impacting your credit score
|Rates (APR)||7.99% – 35.89%|
|Loan Terms||3 or 5 years|
|Loan Amounts||$1,000 – $50,000|
|Fees||Origination fee: 1.5% – 6%|
Prepayment penalty: None
Founded in 2016, Upgrade is an online lending platform that utilizes technology to help borrowers access loan products faster. It offers personal loans, lines of credit, free credit monitoring, and online education tools.
Upgrade’s goal is to help its customers secure affordable credit and make responsible financial decisions. In addition to free credit monitoring, customers receive personalized loan recommendations based on their credit history.
If you’re looking for a way to consolidate your debt, pay off credit cards, or finance a large personal project, you might consider taking out a personal loan from Upgrade.
In this review:
- Upgrade personal loans: At a glance
- Pros & cons of Upgrade
- Eligibility & application information
- Where to find Upgrade alternatives
Upgrade Personal Loans: At a glance
|Upgrade Personal Loan|
|Loan amounts||$1,000 – $35,000|
|Term lengths||36 or 60 months|
|APRs||7.99% – 35.97%|
|Origination fee||2.9% – 8%|
|Minimum credit score||620|
Upgrade Personal Loans
Upgrade personal loans can be between $1,000 and $50,000 at low fixed rates. These loans are unsecured, so customers don’t have to use their homes or cars as collateral.
Upgrade provides flexible repayment terms and will even let customers change their payment dates to fit with their monthly budget. To secure the lowest rates, borrowers must sign up for autopay.
Personal loans are right for you if you have a fixed expense and you need a lump-sum of cash to cover it. Personal loans can be used for a variety of expenses, from debt consolidation to home improvement to covering the cost of a wedding or other events.
Pros & cons of Upgrade
- The loan application process is easy, and you can check your rates without hurting your credit score since Upgrade does an initial soft pull on your credit.
- Once you accept your loan offer, you could receive loan proceeds as soon as the next business day.
- The lender makes personalized loan recommendations and provides free credit health tools to all its customers. This includes free credit monitoring, educational articles and resources, and email alerts about potential fraud.
- Upgrade personal loans aren’t available in all 50 states. Borrowers in Iowa and West Virginia won’t be able to apply.
- If you have excellent credit, you may be able to receive a lower rate with other lenders. For example, those with a credit score higher than 660, may want to consider LightStream for lower rates.
Upgrade eligibility & application information
Applying for a personal loan through Upgrade is a fairly straightforward process. Upgrade outlines the following steps for new customers on its website:
- Check your rate online: The first step is to find out what kind of annual percentage rate you qualify for. You can find this out within minutes on Upgrade’s website. And because Upgrade does a soft pull on your credit, there won’t be any negative impact on your credit score at this stage in the process.
- Choose an offer: Once you find out the loan amount you qualify for, you can choose the amount you need.
- Receive funds quickly: Once you’ve accepted your loan offer—after which Upgrade does conduct a hard credit pull—Upgrade sends the money directly to your bank account within a day.
How we rated Upgrade’s personal loans
Upgrade’s personal loans received a 4.8/5. LendEDU rates personal loans based on a variety of data points including rates, terms, fees, funding time, soft credit check availability, and more. You can learn more about our rating methodology here.
Where to find Upgrade alternatives
Upgrade is best suited for people seeking a fair credit loan or bad credit loan, so it may not be the best option for those with good credit. You can see our top picks for personal loans for good credit here.
As you search for the right personal loan or line of credit, we recommend getting quotes from several lenders to compare rates and find the best deal.
Ready to apply for an Upgrade personal loan? Check your rate on its website without impacting your credit score.
7.99% – 35.97%
$1,000 – $35,000
Minimum Credit Score
*Personal loans made through Upgrade feature APRs of 7.99%-35.97%. All personal loans have a 1.5% to 6% origination fee, which is deducted from the loan proceeds. Lowest rates require Autopay and paying off a portion of existing debt directly. For example, if you receive a $10,000 loan with a 36-month term and a 17.98% APR (which includes a 14.32% yearly interest rate and a 5% one-time origination fee), you would receive $9,500 in your account and would have a required monthly payment of $343.33. Over the life of the loan, your payments would total $12,359.97. The APR on your loan may be higher or lower and your loan offers may not have multiple term lengths available. Actual rate depends on credit score, credit usage history, loan term, and other factors. Late payments or subsequent charges and fees may increase the cost of your fixed rate loan. There is no fee or penalty for repaying a loan early. Personal loans issued by Upgrade’s lending partners. Information on Upgrade’s lending partners can be found at https://www.upgrade.com/lending-partners/.
** Accept your loan offer and your funds will be sent electronically to your bank or designated account within one (1) business day of clearing necessary verifications. Availability of the funds is dependent on how quickly your bank processes the transaction. From the time of approval, funds should be available within four (4) business days.4.8 Upgrade Personal Loans
Author: Jamie Johnson