- In addition to personal loans, Upgrade offers lines of credit, free credit monitoring, and online education tools.
- Upgrade is best-suited for fair credit borrowers. If you have good or bad credit, other lenders may be better.
- Upgrade loans are not available in all 50 states.
What we like:
Use of advanced data and algorithms in application
|Rates (APR)||7.99% – 35.89%|
|Loan Terms||3 or 5 years|
|Loan Amounts||$1,000 – $50,000|
|Fees||Origination fee: 1.5% – 6%|
Prepayment penalty: None
Founded in 2016, Upgrade is an online lending platform that utilizes technology to help borrowers access loan products faster. It offers personal loans, lines of credit, free credit monitoring, and online education tools.
Upgrade’s goal is to help its customers secure affordable credit and make responsible financial decisions. In addition to free credit monitoring, customers receive personalized loan recommendations based on their credit history.
If you’re looking for a way to consolidate your debt, pay off credit cards, or finance a large personal project, you might consider taking out a personal loan from Upgrade. Let’s look more closely at how you can apply for an Upgrade personal loan from this company.
In this review:
- Upgrade personal loans: At a glance
- Pros & cons of Upgrade
- Eligibility & application information
- Where to find Upgrade alternatives
Upgrade personal loans: At a glance
|Upgrade Personal Loan||Upgrade Personal Line of Credit|
|Loan amounts||upgrade-perl-52-amountlow – upgrade-perl-52-amounthigh||upgrade-perl-1057-amountlow – upgrade-perl-1057-amounthigh|
|APRs||upgrade-perl-52-fixlow% – upgrade-perl-52-fixhigh%||upgrade-perl-1057-fixlow – upgrade-perl-1057-fixhigh|
|Minimum credit score||upgrade-perl-52-mincreditscore||Not disclosed, upgrade-perl-52-mincreditscore estimated|
|LendEDU rating||3.15 / 5.00||4.93 / 5.00|
Upgrade Personal Loans
Upgrade personal loans can be between $1,000 and $50,000 at low fixed rates. These loans are unsecured, so customers don’t have to use their homes or cars as collateral.
Upgrade provides flexible repayment terms and will even let customers change their payment dates to fit with their monthly budget. To secure the lowest rates, borrowers must sign up for autopay.
Personal loans are right for you if you have a fixed expense and you need a lump-sum of cash to cover it. Personal loans can be used for a variety of expenses, from debt consolidation to home improvement to covering the cost of a wedding or other events.
Upgrade Personal Credit Lines
Upgrade also offers personal lines of credit up to $50,000. Unlike personal loans, customers can take out and pay interest only on the amount they need, similar to a credit card.
A personal line of credit is a good option if you need a flexible source of funding that may change over time, such as ongoing home renovations.
Pros & cons of Upgrade
- The loan application process is easy, and you can check your rates without hurting your credit score since Upgrade does an initial soft pull on your credit.
- Once you accept your loan offer, you could receive loan proceeds as soon as the next business day.
- The lender makes personalized loan recommendations and provides free credit health tools to all its customers. This includes free credit monitoring, educational articles and resources, and email alerts about potential fraud.
- Upgrade personal loans aren’t available in all 50 states. Borrowers in Iowa, Colorado, Maryland, Vermont, and West Virginia won’t be able to apply.
- Upgrade’s interest rates are generally higher than other online lenders. For instance, SoFi personal loans have a maximum loan amount of sofi-perl-36-amounthigh with APRs from sofi-perl-36-alllow% to sofi-perl-36-allhigh%. Plus, SoFi doesn’t charge any origination fee and will pause your loan payments if you suddenly lose your job.
Upgrade eligibility & application information
Applying for a personal Upgrade loan is a fairly straightforward process. Upgrade outlines the following steps for new customers on its website:
- Check your rate online: The first step is to find out what kind of annual percentage rate you qualify for. You can find this out within minutes on Upgrade’s website. And because Upgrade does a soft pull on your credit, there won’t be any negative impact to your credit score at this stage in the process.
- Choose an offer: Once you find out the loan amount you qualify for, you can choose the amount you need.
- Receive funds quickly: Once you’ve accepted your loan offer—after which Upgrade does conduct a hard credit pull—Upgrade sends the money directly to your bank account within a day.
Where to find Upgrade alternatives
Upgrade is best suited for people seeking a fair credit personal loan, so it won’t be right for everyone.
As you search for the right personal loan or line of credit, we recommend getting quotes from at least three lenders to compare rates and find the best deal.3.15 Upgrade Personal Loans
Author: Jamie Johnson
Your Guide to Financial Freedom
Money tips, advice, and news once a week
Join the LendEDU newsletter!Thanks for submitting!Please Enter a valid email
Personal Loans Information
Personal Loan Reviews