Mariner Finance Personal Loans Review
Mariner Finance offers personal loans to borrowers with poor credit. Mariner Finance rates are higher than those offered by other online lenders — particularly if you have good credit — but it may be an option for those who can't qualify for other personal loans.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
What we like:
Access to physical branch
|Rates (APR)||Not disclosed|
|Loan Terms||Not disclosed|
|Loan Amounts||$1,000 – $25,000|
|Fees||Prepayment penalty: None|
If you’re looking for an unsecured personal loan and need the money fast, there are a number of online lenders that might fit the bill. Online personal loans have become increasingly popular, and it’s often possible to get your money in as little as one business day, making them a good source of funding in financial emergencies.
However, depending on your credit score, you might find it difficult to qualify for a personal loan with a low interest rate. If so, Mariner Finance can be another option. Whether you’re looking for an auto loan or need a personal loan for another purpose, it’s possible to use Mariner Finance to get what you need.
In this review:
- How Mariner Finance and Pioneer Credit Work Together
- How to Get a Personal Loan through Mariner Finance
- Rates, Fees, & Other Basic Info
- The Benefits of Mariner Loans
- The Downsides of Mariner Loans
Mariner Finance and Pioneer Credit
First of all, it’s important to understand that Mariner Finance and Pioneer Credit are the same company. The two companies merged effective Nov. 1, 2018, and Pioneer Credit changed its name to Mariner Finance.
However, very little has impacted customers as a result of the merger, whether they originally obtained their loans through Pioneer Credit or Mariner Finance. They can still use their old login information to access their accounts still enjoy the same loan terms as before. If they live near a Pioneer Credit brick-and-mortar branch, the locations and staff remain the same.
Getting a Loan Through Mariner Finance
Prospective borrowers can fill out an online application for a Mariner Finance personal loan in just a few minutes. Once you have decided on a loan amount, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Phone number
- Citizenship status
- Social Security number
- Annual income
- Employer information
- Housing costs
- Loan purpose
Following a soft credit pull, available loan options will be displayed onscreen. Once you choose a loan offer, though, a hard credit check takes place.
You’ll need to provide documentation to prove your identity and income. Some of the items you might be asked to submit include paystubs, bank statements, and/or a government-issued ID. You might be asked to submit these materials in person at a branch or online. Once the process is complete, you usually receive the funds within one to two business days.
Basic Information: Rates, Terms, Fees, & Limits
Mariner Finance personal loans are available from $1,000 to $25,000. However, only loans between $1,500 and $7,000 will be approved online; if your loan needs fall outside these amounts, you’ll need to go into one of the branches. Mariner Finance only has branch locations in the following states:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- New Jersey
- New York
Additionally, borrowers requesting Mariner loans in excess of $10,000 will be asked to provide collateral. (Note: An auto loan will automatically be a secured loan.)
Mariner Finance’s personal loan rates, which are largely based on your credit history, are on the high side compared to some other online lenders.
If you’re having trouble qualifying for a personal loan with Mariner Finance, you can either get a cosigner or opt for a secured loan instead of an unsecured loan.
The Benefits of Mariner Loans
Borrowers with poor credit who are having trouble qualifying elsewhere will benefit most from Mariner Finance personal loans since there is no minimum credit score required. Here are some of the advantages of using Mariner Finance:
- Fast cash: Mariner’s quick application process means you can receive the funds quickly, usually within one or two business days.
- Fixed monthly payments: Unlike a credit card, a Mariner Finance personal loan offers fixed monthly payments for easier budgeting.
- Personal loans for poor credit: Mariner is a loan for people with bad credit, meaning you might still qualify even if you’ve been turned down by other lenders.
- Cosigner options: Your cosigner doesn’t need to be a family member if you want to improve your chances of getting a personal loan with Mariner Finance.
In addition, Mariner Finance offers optional credit insurance for when something unexpected happens, such as a major illness or job loss that prevents you from making payments. However, the policy is expensive and increases the overall cost of your loan.
The Downsides of Mariner Loans
Mariner Finance also has its share of disadvantages, so it’s important to carefully consider your situation before you move forward.
- High APRs: Mariner Finance offers some of the highest APRs associated with online personal loan lenders, even compared to lenders that also specialize in borrowers with lower credit scores.
- Not available in all states: You might not be able to get a loan if you don’t reside in one of the states where Mariner Finance is eligible to make loans, or if you need more than $7,000.
- Restrictions on how much you can borrow online: If your loan amount doesn’t fall within certain parameters, you might be required to visit a physical branch to complete your loan application. Additionally, you have to secure loan amounts of $10,000 or more.
- Not good for debt consolidation: A common use of personal loans is to consolidate credit card debt; however, the APR on a Mariner Finance personal loan is higher than what’s offered by many credit card issuers.
Something else to be aware of is Mariner Finance’s loan-by-mail option. Mariner frequently mails personal loan offers in the form of an actual check you’re supposed to be able to sign and cash. However, there are a number of Consumer Financial Protection Bureau complaints related that allege predatory practices related to this product.
Additionally, Mariner Finance is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau. There are hundreds of complaints against the company on the BBB website, and the overall customer review rating is 1.4 out of 5 stars.
Mariner Finance Personal Loan Alternatives
Mariner Finance is aimed at those with poor credit who need money fast. Although you can get your money in as little as one or two business days, it comes with a cost. Because these personal loans target borrowers with lower credit scores, the APRs can be high. Additionally, you might end up with various extra costs, including origination fees and the expense of credit insurance.
To help limit the cost of borrowing, you might consider adding a cosigner or opting for a secured loan that limits the risk to Mariner Finance.
Mariner Finance is a better alternative to getting a payday loan that charges even higher rates. Carefully consider your situation and shop around for the lowest possible interest rate before you decide to get a personal loan with Mariner Finance.
1The full range of available rates varies by state. The average 3-year loan offered across all lenders using the Upstart platform will have an APR of 15% and 36 monthly payments of $33 per $1,000 borrowed. There is no down payment and no prepayment penalty. Average APR is calculated based on 3-year rates offered in the last 1 month. Your APR will be determined based on your credit, income, and certain other information provided in your loan application. Not all applicants will be approved.
Author: Miranda Marquit