Note: GEICO Pet Insurance is administered by Embrace Pet Insurance.
What we like:
Short waiting period for orthopedic conditions
|Age Restrictions||Minimum 6 weeks old, maximum of 14 years at enrollment|
|Monthly Premiums||As low as $15 per cat and $10 per dog|
|Deductible||Choice of deductible from $100 to $1,000|
|Benefit Limit||$5,000 to $15,000 annually|
Most pet owners love their dog or cat so much that their social media accounts are basically only pictures of their animals doing something cute. If their furry friend were to get sick or injured, they’d likely be devastated and do anything they could to make sure their pet got better quickly. Right?
That’s why getting pet insurance is so important. It covers the costs of pet care so that you don’t have to think about your bank account balance when you’re making decisions about the health of your pet. That gives you peace of mind and helps significantly in the event your pet experiences a health crisis.
This GEICO pet insurance review will show you what you need to know.
In this review:
- GEICO Pet Insurance Overview
- Pros & Cons of GEICO Pet Insurance
- What Does GEICO Pet Insurance Cover?
- How Much Does GEICO Pet Insurance Cost?
- Where is GEICO Pet Insurance Available?
- How is the Customer Service for GEICO Pet Insurance?
GEICO Pet Insurance Overview
One important thing to know about GEICO Pet Insurance is that it’s actually serviced through Embrace Pet Insurance Agency, LLC.
GEICO pet insurance provides comprehensive coverage with optional wellness rewards. Customers can choose their annual maximum, deductible, and reimbursement percentage, allowing you to customize an affordable policy that best meets your needs.
Pros & Cons of GEICO Pet Insurance
- Relatively cheap: The biggest benefit of GEICO pet insurance is its price. It’s a relatively cheap policy compared to many other pet insurers on the market.
- Many discounts available: GEICO offers multiple opportunities for discounts, such as when you’re insuring more than one pet, when you have pets that have been spayed or neutered, when you pay for your insurance in a lump sum, if you’re a military serviceperson, or when you enroll in online payment.
- Options for wellness coverage: Not all pet insurance companies offer wellness coverage, so that is a huge benefit if you want coverage for things like spaying and neutering, vaccines, routine vet visits, dental cleaning, and preventative care.
- Can cover alternative therapies: GEICO pet insurance can provide coverage for alternative therapies like acupuncture, physical therapy, reiki, and a chiropractor, some of which other pet insurance providers exclude.
- No unlimited coverage option: Since there is no plan with unlimited coverage it is possible that your pet might have an accident or illness where the cost to treat them could exceed your policy’s limits. In that case, you will have to pay for the difference out of pocket. See FIGO if you are interested in an unlimited plan.
- Must pay for vet expenses upfront: Although the process is relatively simple, it can take up to two weeks to receive your reimbursement after submitting a claim. Depending on the size of your vet bill, not everyone will have access to enough cash to pay for it in full immediately.
- Some waiting periods: There is a six-month waiting period if your pet has ligament or orthopedic issues. Since there are insurers who have no waiting periods, GEICO might not be the best choice for you.
What Does GEICO Pet Insurance Cover?
GEICO pet insurance covers a number of common conditions and health issues, including:
- Breed-specific conditions
- Cancer treatment
- Diagnostic testing and imaging (e.g. X-ray, Ultrasound, MRI)
- Surgery, hospitalization, and nursing care
- Alternative therapies and rehabilitation
- Specialist care
- Emergency room care
- Veterinary exam fees
- Prescription drug coverage (optional)
You can also add wellness coverage for an additional fee. All breeds of dogs and cats are covered.
It does not cover pre-existing conditions.
How Much Does GEICO Pet Insurance Cost?
The cost of your plan will depend on a number of different factors, including things like the amount of coverage, deductible chosen, pet type and breed, and geographic area.
Monthly premiums vary but can go up significantly depending on the age of your pet. You will also pay more for wellness coverage. Your wellness coverage has no deductible, co-pay, or waiting period.
Where is GEICO Pet Insurance Available?
GEICO pet insurance is available in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
How is the Customer Service for GEICO Pet Insurance?
GEICO pet insurance reviews tend to be satisfactory overall. Expert Insurance Reviews gives them 3/5 stars for customer support.
You can contact GEICO customer service via phone at 1-800-793-2003. Hours are 8:30 am. to 8:00 p.m. ET Monday through Friday and 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Ultimately, GEICO offers a relatively good option for pet insurance if you want an affordable plan with the option to get routine care covered. Depending on your pet, though, it may not cover all their health care needs, so shop around carefully before making your final decision.
You might decide you want to pay a little more for better pet health coverage elsewhere. Check out our Best Pet Insurance Companies page to see our top picks.