Our company receives compensation from partners seen on our website. Here's how we make money. Our research, news, ratings, and assessments are scrutinized using strict editorial integrity. Our editorial staff does not receive direction from advertisers on our website.
- Embrace pet insurance offers coverage for dogs and cats of all ages.
- You’ll have to get your pet checked out by a vet before receiving coverage.
- Both accident and illness coverage is available, but there’s no unlimited coverage option.
What we like:
Short waiting period for orthopedic conditions
|Monthly Premium||Not disclosed|
|Deductible||$100 – $1,000|
|Benefit Limits||$5,000 to $15,000 annually|
|Age Restrictions||Minimum 6 weeks old, maximum of 14 years at enrollment|
No pet owner ever wants to deny care to their beloved animal because of money. Unfortunately, many life-saving veterinary procedures can be very expensive, and even routine care can add up to hundreds of dollars annually.
The good news is there are options for pet insurance so you can make sure your best friend gets the care required to live the longest, healthiest possible life.
Embrace Pet Insurance is one option for coverage. Embrace provides personalized plans and unique benefits, including a diminishing deductible feature for each year you don’t make a claim. This Embrace pet insurance review will tell you what you need to know.
In this review:
- Embrace pet insurance: Cost & coverage overview
- Pros & cons of Embrace pet insurance
- Eligibility & application information
- Embrace customer service
- Where to find Embrace pet insurance alternatives
Embrace pet insurance: Cost & coverage overview
|Embrace pet insurance|
|LendEDU rating||4.74 / 5.00|
|Medical exam required?||embrace-ins-680-medexamreq|
|Eligible pet age||embrace-ins-680-agelow – embrace-ins-680-agehigh|
Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association and partners with other organizations, including USAA, to provide pet insurance.
Embrace Pet Insurance provides flexibility for dog and cat owners looking to secure coverage, as you can choose between accident-only or illness-only policies and add wellness rewards to get your routine care covered, too.
Embrace aims to treat pets with pre-existing conditions fairly and rewards healthy pets with a $50 deductible savings each year you don’t make a claim.
All of this, combined with top ratings from customers and the Better Business Bureau, makes Embrace a solid choice for those looking to make sure their furry family member’s health needs are met.
What does Embrace pet insurance cover?
Embrace offers accident and illness coverage, as well as an optional wellness rewards plan. The latter provides coverage for:
- Genetic conditions
- Breed-specific conditions
- Chronic conditions
- Cancer treatment
- Alternative therapies, including chiropractic care
- Specialist care
- Emergency room care
- Exam fees and diagnostic treatment
- Surgery (e.g. for a cruciate ligament tear)
- Prosthetic limbs and devices
- Mobility aids
- Up to $1,000 per year in dental care
If you add an optional wellness rewards plan, you can get between $250 and $650 in coverage for any routine care your pet may need during the course of the year. Your wellness rewards plan from Embrace covers:
- Wellness exam fees
- Titer tests
- Flea, tick, and heartworm prevention
- Spay/neuter surgery
- Routine blood tests
- Fecal tests
- Grooming, including nail trims
- Repair of an umbilical hernia
- Nutritional supplements
- Anal gland expression
- A pet activity monitor
- Cremation or burial
- Teeth cleaning
You’ll receive up to 90% back on veterinary care when you obtain covered services under either of these Embrace insurance plans.
Claims made under your wellness plan do not count toward the deductible for your accident and illness plan, though, and your deductible and payout limits will vary depending on the policy you select.
How Much Does Embrace Pet Insurance Cost?
Embrace Pet Insurance costs vary depending on the age of your pet, your pet’s breed, the type of pet (i.e. dog or cat), and other factors such as where you live.
You can get a pet insurance quote online to find out exactly how much it will cost to insure your dog or cat. The deductible you select, your chosen coverage limits, and whether you opt to add optional wellness coverage all affect the amount you pay for Embrace Pet Insurance.
Pros & cons of Embrace insurance
As with any pet insurance provider, there are benefits and downsides to consider before signing up for a policy with Embrace.
- A diminishing deductible is included with every policy. Embrace is the only pet insurer that reduces the annual deductible on your coverage for each year you don’t make a claim.
- Routine care is covered. Embrace’s wellness rewards plan reimburses pet owners for training, grooming, and other routine care with no per-item limits. Embrace also covers the cost of your exam fee, which many insurers don’t.
- You have flexibility in choosing your coverage. You can choose your deductible and policy limits to customize your Embrace coverage to better meet your pet’s needs.
- Embrace provides options for pre-existing conditions. If your dog or cat has a curable condition and is symptom-free and treatment-free for 12 months, Embrace will provide coverage for that condition after that yearlong period. Many other pet insurers deny coverage for pre-existing conditions for life when you first sign up for a policy.
- Multi-pet discount. If you insure more than one pet with Embrace, you can get a 5% discount on each additional policy.
- There’s no unlimited coverage option. This means there’s always a cap on the amount Embrace will pay out if your pet needs very expensive treatment.
- There’s a waiting period before your coverage becomes effective. You’ll have a two-day waiting period for accident coverage and a 14-day waiting period for illness coverage upon signing up. Dogs are also subject to a six-month orthopedic waiting period unless you have an Orthopedic Exam Report card, which can shorten your waiting period to 14 days. No other diagnostic tests, procedures, or X-rays required.
- You have to provide a full year of your pet’s medical history. This is required before you can buy an Embrace Pet Insurance policy. The medical history includes doctor’s notes, test results, and other details about your pet’s past health.
Eligibility & application information
Embrace offers coverage to cats and dogs, from newborns to embrace-ins-680-agehigh. Coverage is also available to animals older than embrace-ins-680-agehigh of age, but only in the form of accident-only coverage.
You can easily get a quote on Embrace’s website by providing the name, species, breed, and age of your pet, as well as your zip code. You’ll then be required to select the coverage amounts and deductible you want.
However, you’ll need to get your pet checked by a vet before your policy goes into effect.
Where is Embrace Available?
Embrace Pet Insurance plans are available for dogs and cats throughout the United States.
Embrace customer service
Embrace can be contacted via phone at 800-511-9172. The call center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. ET.
Online chat is also available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time. If you need help during off hours, you can send a message via the website’s Contact Us form.
Embrace generally gets very good reviews from customers. It has an 8.8/10 rating with Consumer Advocate, which is considered excellent, as well as an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
Where to find Embrace pet insurance alternatives
Embrace Pet Insurance has many unique features, including a healthy pet deductible benefit. It also provides the chance to get wellness care covered, which some other pet insurers don’t offer.
But pet parents can’t get unlimited coverage with Embrace, so you’ll need to look elsewhere if you want a policy that doesn’t have an annual maximum on reimbursement.
How we rated Embrace pet insurance
Embrace earned a 4.74 / 5.00 rating. LendEDU rates pet insurance companies based on the weighted average of 11 pieces of information, including their availability, customer ratings, coverage amounts, and financial wellbeing. You can learn more about our methodology here.4.74 Embrace Pet Insurance