Pets Best Insurance offers pet health insurance plans for both cats and dogs, with premium costs starting at just $6 per month for accident-only coverage. There’s no annual benefit limit and most policies have a small deductible.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Pets Best offers comprehensive pet insurance for cats and dogs nationwide—as long as they’re at least 7 weeks old.
- Pre-existing conditions aren’t covered, and there’s a waiting period before coverage goes into effect.
What we like:
No maximum age limit
|Monthly Premium||As low as $6 per month|
|Deductible||$50 to $1,000|
|Benefit Limits||Some policies offer unlimited annual coverage|
|Age Restrictions||Minimum 7 weeks, no maximum age limit|
Being a pet owner brings joy and companionship into your life, but there are many responsibilities involved in having a cat or a dog—including caring for its health.
The cost of veterinary care can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars annually including routine exams as well as emergency pet care when accidents or illnesses happen.
Pets Best provides coverage for both cats and dogs throughout the United States, to help offset the costs of vet bills. This Pets Best insurance review highlights benefits and downsides, cost, and coverage options available.
In this review:
- Pets Best Insurance: Costs & coverage
- Pros & cons of Pets Best
- How to get a Pets Best policy
- Pets Best customer service
- Where to find Pets Best alternatives
Pets Best Insurance: Costs & coverage
|Pets Best Pet Insurance|
|Eligible pets||Cats & dogs|
|Annual benefit||$5,000 – Unlimited|
|Reimbursement amount||70%, 80%, or 90%|
|Deductible amounts||$50, $100, $200, $250, $500, or $1,000|
|Minimum pet age||7 weeks|
|Medical exam required?||No|
|Monthly premiums||As low as $6, but vary based on policy and location|
Since 2005, Pets Best has been providing pet owners and their furry friends coverage for both routine wellness care and emergency care. Headquartered in Idaho, the company focuses on helping pet owners financially prepare in case of a health emergency.
Pets Best covers more than 100,000 pets throughout the country.
What does Pets Best Pet Insurance cover?
Pets Best pet insurance has many plan options available, all of which cover different health issues. Available plans include the following:
- Essential Plan: This plan covers accidents, illnesses, cancer, hereditary conditions, emergency care, surgeries, and prescription medications. There is no annual limit on coverage but exam fees, rehabilitative care, and alternative therapies are not covered.
- Plus Plan: This covers everything in the Essential Plan, plus accident and illness exam fees. Rehabilitative, acupuncture, and chiropractic care are not included, but pet owners still have unlimited annual coverage.
- Elite Plan: This plan covers everything in the Plus plan as well as rehabilitative and alternative care. Annual coverage is unlimited with this plan too.
Pet owners may also opt for an accident-only policy that does not cover routine care or vet visits in case of illnesses. And Pets Best pet insurance also offers a wellness plan as an add-on.
The wellness plan covers routine veterinary care including vaccinations, wellness exams, heartworm tests, deworming, and microchipping, up to specified limits for each category of care.
Each of the pet insurance policies offered by Pets Best is available for dogs or cats who are at least seven weeks old. No pre-existing conditions are covered under any policy.
How much does Pets Best Insurance cost?
The cost for pet insurance depends on several different factors, including the age of the pet, any past medical issues it has faced, and the extent of coverage a pet owner wants or needs.
As an example, a policy from Pets Best for a five-year-old dog with no previous major medical issues, a $500 deductible, and a 90% reimbursement level costs $25.84 per month for an Essential Plan, $30.14 per month for a Plus Plan, and $31.54 for an Elite Plan.
For most healthy pets, the cost ranges from $19 to $62, depending on the plan selected.
Coverage is available after a three-day waiting period for accidents and a 14 day period for illnesses. Pet owners can select a reimbursement rate and a deductible. The lower the reimbursement rate and the higher the deductible, the lower the premium.
Premiums will vary based on your pet, policy, and location.
>> Read more: Is There Pet Insurance With No Waiting Period?
Pros & cons of Pets Best
Before signing up for a policy through Pets Best, it’s important to consider the benefits and downsides.
- Policies can be customized to cater to each pet owner’s needs, with some plans offering unlimited annual benefits, routine care coverage, options for covering exam fees, and the ability to select a deductible.
- There is no maximum age limit for getting pet insurance coverage from Pets Best, making it a good choice for pet owners with older dogs or cats.
- Pets Best insurance promises to pay out approved claims for vet bills in five days or less, and pet owners have the option to pay the vet directly or through direct deposit.
- Pets Best offers free access to a 24/7 Pet Helpline. This perk allows you to get answers to pet health questions at any time of the day or night from veterinary experts at whiskerDocs.
- Insurance plans from Pets Best do not cover dogs or cats with pre-existing conditions. If your pet has already experienced a health issue, you won’t be able to get pet insurance to cover that specific problem.
- Pets Best insurance plan premiums increase over time as a pet ages, even though there is no age limit for getting covered.
- Pets Best does not have the best customer reviews. Reviews include complaints about the insurer not paying claims for veterinary visits the customer believes should have been covered or delaying payment of an approved claim.
How to get a Pets Best policy
You can sign up for a Pets Best Policy online in a matter of minutes. Just visit the Pets Best website and provide your pet’s:
- Primary veterinarian
- Information about past symptoms
You’ll also need to provide your own name and information, such as your location and whether you’re a military member.
After you submit your information, you’ll be offered a range of policy options, and you can tweak the details to match the premiums and coverage you’d like. After you choose a policy and submit your first payment, your policy’s waiting period begins.
Where is Pets Best Insurance available?
Pets Best pet insurance policies are available to all pet owners throughout the United States.
Pets Best customer service
Pets Best reviews are not as strong as other pet insurance providers, with most negative reviews alleging improperly denied claims and long wait times for claims reimbursement. However, the company does offer several ways to get in touch.
Pet owners can call the company Monday through Friday from 7 am to 7 pm and Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm at 1-877-738-7237.
There is also a live chat option through the company’s website, and a message function that sends an e-mail to customer care representatives. Pet owners may also connect with Pets Best on social media or via fax at 1-866-777-1434.
Where to find Pets Best alternatives
Although Pets Best policies are extensive in their coverage and competitive on price, it may not be right for everyone.
If you’d like to compare Pets Best with other options, check out our guide to the best pet insurance companies. For comprehensive reviews, you can check out our list of pet insurance companies to learn more about each.
How we rated Pets Best
Pets Best scored a LendEDU rating of 4.4 out of 5. We rate our pet insurance partners based on a variety of data points including coverage, cost, customer ratings, benefit limits, exclusions, and more.
Ready to take out a pet insurance policy with Pets Best? Get a quote on its website.
$50 – $1,000
70% – 90%
$5,000 – Unlimited
Author: Melissa Horton