What we like:
No maximum age limit
|Monthly Premium||As low as $6 per month|
|Deductible||$50 to $1,000|
|Benefit Limits||Some policies offer unlimited annual coverage|
|Age Restrictions||Minimum 7 weeks, no maximum age limit|
Being a pet owner brings joy and companionship into your life, but there are many responsibilities involved in having a cat or a dog – including caring for its health. The cost of veterinary care can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars annually including routine exams as well as emergency pet care when accidents or illnesses happen.
Pet insurance companies help offset the costs of vet bills, up to certain limits. The right policy can reimburse you for the majority of pet healthcare expenses, allowing you to keep your pet healthy without breaking the bank.
Pets Best provides coverage for both cats and dogs throughout the United States, and plans are comprehensive compared to other pet insurance companies.
This Pets Best insurance review highlights benefits and downsides, cost, and coverage options available.
In this review:
- Pets Best Insurance Overview
- Pros & Cons of Pets Best
- What Does Pets Best Pet Insurance Cover?
- How Much Does Pets Best Insurance Cost?
- Where is Pets Best Insurance Available?
- Pets Best Customer Service
Pets Best Insurance Overview
Since 2005, Pets Best has been providing pet owners and their furry friends coverage for both routine wellness care and emergency care. Headquartered in Idaho, the company focuses on helping pet owners financially prepare in case of a health emergency.
As of 2018, Pets Best insurance has paid out more than $200 million in claims to pet owners, and it covers more than 100,000 pets throughout the country.
Pros & Cons of Pets Best
Before signing up for a policy through Pets Best, it’s important to consider the benefits and downsides.
- Policies can be customized to cater to each pet owner’s needs, with some plans offering unlimited annual benefits, routine care coverage, options for covering exam fees, and the ability to select a deductible.
- There is no maximum age limit for getting pet insurance coverage from Pets Best, making it a good choice for pet owners with older dogs or cats.
- Pets Best insurance promises to pay out approved claims for vet bills in five days or less, and pet owners have the option to pay the vet directly or through direct deposit.
- Pets Best offers free access to a 24/7 Pet Helpline. This perk allows you to get answers to pet health questions at any time of the day or night from veterinary experts at whiskerDocs.
- Insurance plans from Pets Best do not cover dogs or cats with pre-existing conditions. If your pet has already experienced a health issue, you won’t be able to get pet insurance to cover that specific problem.
- Pets Best insurance plan premiums increase over time as a pet ages, even though there is no age limit for getting covered.
- Pets Best does not have the best customer reviews. Reviews include complaints about the insurer not paying claims for veterinary visits the customer believes should have been covered or delaying payment of an approved claim.
What Does Pets Best Pet Insurance Cover?
Pets Best pet insurance has many plan options available, all of which cover different health issues. Available plans include the following:
- Essential Plan: This plan covers accidents, illnesses, cancer, hereditary conditions, emergency care, surgeries, and prescription medications. There is no annual limit on coverage but exam fees, rehabilitative care, and alternative therapies are not covered.
- Plus Plan: This covers everything in the Essential Plan, plus accident and illness exam fees. Rehabilitative, acupuncture, and chiropractic care are not included, but pet owners still have unlimited annual coverage.
- Elite Plan: This plan covers everything in the Plus plan as well as rehabilitative and alternative care. Annual coverage is unlimited with this plan too.
Pet owners may also opt for an accident-only policy that does not cover routine care or vet visits in case of illnesses. And Pets Best pet insurance also offers a wellness plan as an add-on. The wellness plan covers routine veterinary care including vaccinations, wellness exams, heartworm tests, deworming, and microchipping, up to specified limits for each category of care.
Each of the pet insurance policies offered by Pets Best are available for dogs or cats who are at least seven weeks old. No pre-existing conditions are covered under any policy.
How Much Does Pets Best Insurance Cost?
The cost for pet insurance depends on several different factors, including the age of the pet, any past medical issues it has faced, and the extent of coverage a pet owner wants or needs.
As an example, a policy from Pets Best for a five-year-old dog with no previous major medical issues, a $500 deductible, and a 90% reimbursement level costs $25.84 per month for an Essential Plan, $30.14 per month for a Plus Plan, and $31.54 for an Elite Plan. For most healthy pets, the cost ranges from $19 to $62, depending on the plan selected.
Coverage is available after just a three-day waiting period for accidents and a 14 day waiting period for illnesses. Pet owners can select a deductible as low as $50 per year or as high as $1,000 per year and can choose from a 70%, 80%, or 90% reimbursement rate. The higher the deductible and lower the reimbursement rate, the lower the premium costs.
Premiums begin as low as $6 a month.
Where is Pets Best Insurance Available?
Pets Best pet insurance policies are available to all pet owners throughout the United States.
Pets Best Customer Service
Pets Best reviews are not as strong as other pet insurance providers, with most negative reviews alleging improperly denied claims and long wait times for claims reimbursement. However, the company does offer several ways to get in touch.
Pet owners can call the company Monday through Friday from 7 am to 7 pm and Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm at 1-877-738-7237. There is also a live chat option through the company’s website, and a message function that sends an e-mail to customer care representatives. Pet owners may also connect with Pets Best on social media or via fax at 1-866-777-1434.
Pets Best pet insurance policy options are extensive in what they cover, the amount of reimbursement, and the ability to choose a low deductible each year.
Plans are slightly cheaper than many comparable pet insurance providers, as well.
Although there are some stand-out benefits of a Pets Best insurance policy, many customer reviews are not great. And, as with most pet insurers, pre-existing conditions are not covered and nor are alternative therapies under the most basic plans.
However, the price point of Pets Best insurance combined with its comprehensive coverage may make it worthwhile for pet owners who need or want pet health insurance.4.56 Pets Best Pet Insurance