Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Petplan Pet Insurance provides competitive insurance policies for cats and dogs.
- Wellness visits are not covered, but you must complete them to maintain your coverage.
- Petplan scored a 4.6 / 5.00 from LendEDU.
What we like:
Discounts for vet professionals
|Monthly Premium||As low as $10 per month|
|Deductible||$250 – $1,000|
|Benefit Limits||petplan-ins-756-coveragelow – petplan-mortg-756-coveragehigh|
|Age Restrictions||Must be at least six weeks old|
If you have a dog or a cat, you know keeping your pet healthy can be expensive. Surgeries and other treatments can cost thousands of dollars a year, especially if your pet develops any chronic conditions.
Just as you need health insurance for yourself, it may also make sense to get pet insurance for your furry friend. A Petplan Pet Insurance provides policies with reimbursement for various services including dental and medical therapies.
This Petplan pet insurance review can help you this provider is right for you.
In this review:
- Petplan Pet Insurance: Costs & Coverage
- Pros & Cons of a Petplan Insurance Policy
- How to Get a Petplan Policy
- Customer Service
- Where to Find Petplan Alternatives
Petplan Pet Insurance: Costs & Coverage
|Petplan Pet Insurance|
|LendEDU rating||4.6 / 5.00|
|Eligible pets||Dogs & cats|
|Minimum age||6 weeks|
|Coverage amount||$2,500 – Unlimited|
|Deductibles||$250 – $1,000|
|Visit Lender||View Rates|
Petplan pet health insurance has been available in the United States since 2001, with the company focused on providing coverage primarily for dogs and cats.
Petplan is incorporated under the name Fetch, Inc. and policies are underwritten by XL Specialty Insurance Company. Petplan has an A.M. Best rating of A and provides fully customizable insurance plans for pets.
Petplan pet health insurance is known for is providing comprehensive coverage for care, including dental coverage for oral diseases and injuries. On top of that, you can get a plan that covers behavioral treatment, so your pets can be treated for disorders including separation anxiety.
Additionally, Petplan insurance is known for having lax age limits. Some providers have an upper age limit for animals they’ll insure, but Petplan dog insurance and cat insurance won’t cut you off or deny coverage based on age.
What Does Petplan Pet Insurance Cover?
In general, Petplan insurance offers lifelong and comprehensive coverage for a number of pet health conditions, including chronic conditions and hereditary diseases. As long as you meet policy requirements, you can get diagnostic and treatment costs included in your coverage.
On top of that, depending on your plan, you might get access to coverage for alternative therapies (including acupuncture) and behavioral therapies (such as for separation anxiety).
>> Read More: What isn’t covered by pet insurance?
If you get a policy that has an annual limit of at least $15,000, you can get additional Petplan health insurance coverage for such items as:
- Travel reimbursement if you have to cut your trip short to come back and get your pet due to illness or injury
- Advertisement and reward payment for a lost or stolen pet
- Cost of boarding your pet if you’re sick or injured and need a place for your pet to stay
- Reimbursement if your pet is lost or stolen and remains unfound
Additionally, realize that Petplan health insurance makes a distinction between curable and non-curable conditions so you’ll need to check your policy and limits to see what to expect.
Waiting Periods for Coverage
There are some waiting periods for certain conditions and treatments, and you might have to jump through some additional hoops for pre-existing conditions.
You should carefully consider your pet’s situation and decide if some of the waiting periods and delays might cause undue problems for you. However, in some of these situations, Petplan health insurance offers better coverage than you might see with other plans, so shopping around is also important.
All breeds of dogs and cats older than six weeks are eligible for coverage, and care is covered when provided by any veterinarian in the U.S. or Canada.
Unfortunately, one of the notable coverages missing from Petplan insurance is a wellness plan. You can’t get coverage for preventative visits and regular check-ups. However, with Petplan dog insurance, you’re required to get these check-ups if you want to maintain your coverage.
How Much Does Petplan Pet Insurance Cost?
As with any other health insurance policy, what you pay for pet insurance depends on a number of factors, including:
- The age of your pet
- The breed of pet
- The amount of coverage you select
- The deductible and co-pay you select
- Any pre-existing conditions
- Non-curable vs. curable conditions
In general, Petplan insurance prides itself in providing customizable plans. You can choose your coverage level, from as low as $5,000. Annual deductibles range from $250 to $1,000. You can also choose different reimbursement levels.
The ability to customize your plan allows you to figure out what will best fit your pet’s needs and your budget.
>> Read More: Is pet insurance worth the cost?
Pros & Cons of Petplan Insurance
There are many benefits and downsides to consider before taking out a policy through Petplan.
- Immediate 5% discount for those who purchase coverage online.
- Additional discounts for having a micro-chipped pet, having a medical service animal, and taking out policies for multiple pets.
- You can also expect to get a 2% discount on premiums for each 12-month period you go without making a claim, up to a maximum 10% discount.
- Petplan covers exam fees for sick visits, something that might not be available with other providers.
- Petplan pet insurance also has a solid app that allows you to make claims on your iOS or Android mobile device.
- Flexibility is another benefit of Petplan coverage. There are three main tiers of coverage to choose from: bronze, silver, and gold. Various benefits are available depending on the level and coverage limit you select.
- Petplan insurance features additional coverage options depending on your plan. Options could include the cost of boarding your pet while you’re sick as well as reimbursing you for advertising a lost pet and paying a reward when your pet is found.
- You’ll also see claims paid relatively quickly, usually within a week.
- There have been some consumer Petplan pet insurance reviews that indicate dissatisfaction with recent premium increases. You have to be aware of these issues before you sign up.
- There are requirements you must fulfill in order for coverage to kick in, such as taking your pet to the vet within 48 hours of injury or illness.
- If you get Petplan dog insurance, you’re required to have regular health and dental check-ups—and these regular check-ups aren’t covered.
- You can’t get a wellness plan with Petplan insurance, so regular well visits are entirely out of pocket.
How to Get a Petplan Policy
You can apply for a policy online in minutes. Just supply Petplan with your location and your pet’s name, breed, and age. You’ll then be offered three policy tiers (the price of which will vary based on your pet and location).
However, you can also elect to customize your plan by choosing a higher or lower maximum annual payout and deductible, to get the monthly premiums you desire.
Your coverage will go into effect at 12:01 am EST the day after you elect your policy and remit your first payment.
Where is Petplan Insurance Available?
Petplan insurance is available in all 50 states and in Canada. You can use coverage from this pet insurance company at any vet in the U.S. and Canada.
Petplan Customer Service
The average rating for Petplan insurance on Pet Insurance Review is 9.2 out of 10.
You can call Petplan at 1.866.467.3875, 24 hours a day. You can also send an email through the Petplan website contact form. Finally, Petplan pet insurance offers live chat on its website.
Where to Find Petplan Alternatives
If you’re looking for comprehensive coverage for illness and injury, Petplan health insurance can be a solid choice. However, if you want a wellness plan, you’ll have to look elsewhere for coverage as Petplan doesn’t offer this type of protection.
How We Rated Petplan Pet Insurance
Petplan scored a 4.6 out of 5.00. We rate pet insurance companies based on a variety of data points including coverage, cost, customer ratings, benefit limits, exclusions, and more.
You can learn more about our methodology here.
Ready to learn more about Petplan? Check out its website.
$250 – $1,000
Up to 90%
$2,500 – Unlimited
Author: Miranda Marquit