Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Healthy Paws offers pet insurance coverage for cats and dogs.
- There are no maximum benefit limits
- 99% of claims are processed within 2 days.
What we like:
Strong financial strength
|Benefit Limit||No maximum|
|Deductible||$100 – $1,000|
|Reimbursement||50% – 90%|
|Age Restrictions||8 weeks – 14 years (age limits only enforced for new enrollments)|
The upsides of owning a pet are many, but one of the downsides is paying for your furry friend’s care. Accidents and illnesses can wrack up big veterinarian bills, so many pet owners turn to pet insurance to offset the costs.
Healthy Paws is one company offering pet insurance. Healthy Paws receives high marks from consumers and makes low-cost coverage options available, but there are also some downsides to be aware of.
This Healthy Paws review will help you make the best decision on whether this coverage is right for you.
In this review:
- Costs & Coverage of Healthy Paws
- Healthy Paws Pros & Cons
- How to Get a Policy
- Healthy Paws Customer Service
- Healthy Paws Alternatives
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance: Costs & Coverage
|Healthy Paws Pet Insurance|
|Eligible pets||Cats & dogs|
|Deductibles||$100 – $1,000|
|Reimbursement range||50% – 90%|
|Eligible ages to open a policy||8 weeks – 14 years*|
|View Rates||Visit Healthy Paws|
*This upper-age limit is only enforced for new enrollments. If your pet was enrolled before the age of 15, it will remain eligible.
Healthy Paws is a top-rated pet insurance provider. The co-founders of the company met through their work at a no-kill animal shelter, so there’s a true love for animals serving as a foundation for Healthy Paws Insurance.
The company is an A+ rated insurer, and unlike many other companies, they don’t require a claim form.
What Does Healthy Paws Pet Insurance Cover?
Healthy Paws covers a wide variety of different conditions including:
- Hereditary and congenital conditions (limitations apply)
- Chronic conditions
- Diagnostic treatment
- Blood tests
- Prescription medicine
- Emergency care
- Specialty care
- Alternative treatment
Healthy Paws does not cover:
- Exam fees
- Pre-existing conditions
- Preventative care (including vaccinations, flea and heartworm control, dental care, spaying and neutering, and anal gland expression)
- There’s no reimbursement for elective procedures, boarding, therapy, behavioral modification, or behavioral training
There are no caps or maximum limits annually, there are no lifetime caps, and there are no incident caps.
How Much Does Healthy Paws Cost?
You can get a personalized pet insurance quote on the Healthy Paws website to see what you might expect to pay monthly and what your reimbursement rates would be so you can decide if a policy is worth buying.
Pros & Cons of Healthy Paws Insurance
- The fact that there aren’t caps on payouts is one of the primary differentiators between Healthy Paws and other pet insurance companies. Other insurance companies may pay only up to a specified amount each year or per incident.
- Healthy Paws also offers more comprehensive coverage than many competitors. As long as a pet is enrolled before the age of six, conditions that are hereditary and congenital may be covered.
- For those covered through Healthy Paws, the plan structure is straightforward and it’s simple to submit necessary information for reimbursement because Healthy Paws doesn’t require a claim form. Everything can be managed online or using the company’s mobile app.
- For accidents and illnesses, the Healthy Paws waiting period is 15 days. For hip dysplasia, there is a 12-month waiting period for pets younger than six.
- If a pet is injured or gets sick during a waiting period, you won’t be covered. Any resulting health problems from an accident during the waiting period are considered a pre-existing condition and are excluded.
- Hip dysplasia coverage is not available for pets ages six or older at the time of enrollment.
- Exam fees aren’t covered like they are with other providers such as ASPCA.
>> Read More: Pet Insurance With No Waiting Period
How to Get a Healthy Paws Policy
Getting a Healthy Paws policy is easy. Just visit the company’s website and input your pet’s name, breed, age, and location. After entering this information, you’ll be offered a policy quote.
You can then customize your plan’s reimbursement rate and deductible amount to get the coverage amount and premium you desire.
Next, you’ll need to provide some additional contact information and confirm the date of your pet’s last vet exam. You can then enter your payment information and initiate your policy’s waiting period.
Note that when you initially sign up, you may have to pay a one-time sign-up fee of $25. This fee is not charged in every state.
Where is Healthy Paws Insurance available?
Healthy Paws is available in all 50 states.
How is the customer service for Healthy Paws Pet Insurance?
To contact customer service, you can visit the online Healthy Paws Customer Center. Using the online Customer Center, you can manage your policy, file claims, review the status of claims, and update your billing information.
Healthy Paws is a paperless company, and all information is sent electronically. There is also a Healthy Paws Mobile App. And, with the Speedy Claims Payout process, you can take a picture of your vet bill and submit it online or through the mobile app.
Healthy Paws has an A+ rating from the BBB, and has an average of four out of five stars from customers. For the most part, customers seem really happy with the products and services available from Healthy Paws as well as with the customer care provided—although there are some outliers.
For example, one customer complained to the BBB because of increases in premiums each year. Other customers have described the customer service as problematic and complained of difficulty getting in touch with a customer service representative despite repeated attempts.
Where to Find Healthy Paws Alternatives
If you’re searching for pet insurance, Healthy Paws may be a viable option for you. Healthy Paws stands out from competitors because of low monthly premiums and no caps on claims payouts.
However, you should compare all your options before making a decision. Our guide to the best pet insurance companies will help you compare insurers to find the coverage you need. You can also check out our reviews of popular providers.
How We Rated Healthy Paws
Healthy Paws scored a LendEDU rating of 4.2 out of 5. We rate pet insurance partners based on a variety of data points including coverage, cost, customer ratings, benefit limits, exclusions, and more.
Ready to cover your furry friend with Healthy Paws? Visit its website.
$100 – $1,000
50% – 90%
Author: Ashley Sutphin