USAA Pet Insurance Review
USAA offers a variety of comprehensive pet insurance plans, with reimbursement rates up to 90% and the option to choose your own deductible to customize your pet's health care coverage.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
What we like:
Short waiting period for orthopedic conditions
|Monthly Premium||Not disclosed|
|Deductible||Customizable deductibles from $100 to $1,000|
|Benefit Limits||$5,000 to $15,000 annually|
|Age Restrictions||6 weeks – 15 years|
Note: USAA Pet Insurance is administered by Embrace Pet Insurance. USAA members will earn an automatic 15% off on their pet insurance policy. Add another 5% off for insuring multiple pets or for being active duty military. If applying, make sure the discount takes effect.
Pet insurance helps provide peace of mind knowing you don’t have to make a choice between your financial stability and the health of your furry family member. USAA pet insurance can help you make certain you have the funds to care for your pet properly after an accident or illness.
USAA pet insurance is available only to USAA members, and membership is limited to military members and their families. If you are a member, you have flexibility in choosing a pet insurance policy that fits your needs and can opt to bundle your policy with other coverage to score discounts.
In this review:
- USAA Pet Insurance Overview
- Pros & Cons of USAA Pet Insurance
- What Does USAA Pet Insurance Cover?
- How Much Does USAA Pet Insurance Cost?
- Where Is USAA Pet Insurance Available?
- USAA Pet Insurance Customer Service
USAA Pet Insurance Overview
USAA has been supplying financial products to military members since 1922. USAA doesn’t personally administer pet insurance but instead offers policies to members through Embrace Pet Insurance Agency, LLC.
Embrace is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association and has received an A+ (superior) rating from AM Best.
Although USAA won’t administer your pet insurance policy directly, you can still bundle coverage with other USAA insurance policies, including auto insurance, renters and homeowners coverage, personal property insurance, flood insurance, small business insurance, and more.
Pros & Cons of USAA Pet Insurance
- Discounted coverage for military members: Includes additional active-duty discount.
- Flexibility in coverage options: You can choose the extent of the coverage you want to purchase, including accident-only coverage or more comprehensive coverage for accidents and illness.
- Easy claims filing: Your pet insurance is accepted everywhere, and you can even get coverage when you’re deployed overseas. You simply pay the vet bill, submit a claim, and get reimbursed in as little as five days of submitting the required documentation.
- Option to add wellness rewards: Because USAA pet insurance is administered by Embrace, USAA members can add a wellness rewards plan that covers training, grooming, and other routine care with no per-item limits.
- Get coverage when overseas: One big benefit to USAA coverage is that your policy can cover care for your animals even when you’re stationed overseas.
- Membership requirements for discount: The biggest downside of USAA pet insurance is that you can’t access the discounts with Embrace unless you’re a USAA member. If you aren’t a member but are still interested in Embrace, you can apply directly on their site.
- Doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions: USAA does not offer coverage for pre-existing conditions, though most providers do not.
What Does USAA Pet Insurance Cover?
USAA promises to “help protect your furriest friends from head to tail.” To that end, you have the option to secure a very comprehensive plan. Medical coverage for pets includes:
- Coverage for breed-specific conditions
- Treatment for both chronic and congenital conditions
- Cancer treatment
- Diagnostic testing and imaging
- Specialist care
- ER visits and emergency room care
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Nursing care
- Behavioral therapy
- Prescription drugs
- Alternative therapy and rehabilitation
The single most-filed claim with USAA pet insurance is for allergies and dermatological issues, but your policy can cover much more serious conditions. You’ll have the flexibility of choosing the kind of coverage you want with this pet insurance company, as well as your deductible and reimbursement options.
There is a 14-day waiting period before illnesses are covered, as well as a waiting period ranging from 48 hours to 14 days for accidents depending where you live.
There’s also a six-month waiting period applicable to insurance coverage for orthopedic problems in dogs and cats, although this can be reduced to 14 days if you follow a waiver process and get an orthopedic exam for your pet.
How Much Does USAA Pet Insurance Cost?
USAA pet insurance costs vary depending on the policy. Accident-only policies cost less than more comprehensive coverage that reimburses pet owners for both accidents and injuries. The age of your pet, whether your pet is a cat or dog, and your pet’s breed can also affect premium prices.
Monthly premiums vary, but available discounts include:
- Automatic 15% discount for USAA members
- 5% discount for insuring multiple pets
- 5% discount for active-duty military
This means you could save up to 25% on your coverage when you buy through USAA.
Where is USAA Pet Insurance Available?
USAA Pet Insurance is available to USAA members throughout the United States, as well as to members who are active-duty military and stationed abroad.
USAA Pet Insurance Customer Service
USAA members can log into their account online and get a free pet insurance quote within minutes. You can also call USAA for help at 1-210-531-USAA or connect with customer support on Twitter at @USAA_Help.
Embrace, which administers the USAA pet insurance plan, has a 4.1-star rating with Consumer Affairs and has received 84 5-star reviews in the past year. However, some customers have complained of challenges with the claims process, including requiring additional documentation before paying claims.
If you’re eligible for USAA pet insurance because you’re a USAA member, this insurance coverage is a great option. It’s affordable and you have flexibility in customizing a policy to suit your needs.
If Embrace doesn’t meet your needs, you may want to compare our picks for the best pet insurance. You can also check out our reviews of some of the largest pet insurance providers in the country.
Author: Christy Rakoczy