Trupanion Pet Insurance Review 2019
Dogs and cats under 14 can get lifelong coverage through Trupanion pet insurance. There’s a per-deductible condition and no cap on payouts for each condition, but premiums may be higher than with other pet insurance companies.
What we like:
Unlimited benefit limit
|Monthly Premium||As low as $15|
|Deductible||$0 – $1,000 per condition|
|Benefit Limits||Not disclosed|
|Coverage||All cats and dogs under 14 are eligible for lifelong coverage|
Like other family members, no one wants to watch their pets suffer. Since your pet can’t communicate with you, figuring out what’s wrong and treating the issue can be complicated. Unfortunately, it can be expensive, too.
The good news is, veterinary care has advanced so pets can now have many of the same lifesaving procedures that people do. But the bad news is, these procedures often come at a very high price, which can leave pet owners forced to choose between saving a pet and blowing through their budget.
Pet insurance can provide important protection to help you in these situations, but policies vary dramatically from one insurer to another.
Trupanion is one pet insurance provider worth considering, and this Trupanion pet insurance review will help you decide if it’s the right one for you.
In this review:
Trupanion Insurance Overview
Trupanion was first founded in 2000 as a company called Vetinsurance, and its first pet was insured in Vancouver, Canada. By 2004, Trupanion had become the first profitable pet insurer in North America.
Since that time, Trupanion has continued to grow, both expanding to new markets and adding new types of coverage, such as coverage for hip dysplasia.
Trupanion is unique in that it offers per-incident deductibles rather than annual deductibles.
What Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cover?
Today, Trupanion offers a comprehensive array of pet insurance options as well as customizable policies, so pet owners can find the right coverage to meet their individual needs.
Included in these options is unlimited coverage, so there’s no cap on what the insurer will spend per condition your animal develops.
While you can customize your deductible with Trupanion, you don’t have the option to pick a particular plan. That’s because all Trupanion policies provide coverage for accidental injuries and illnesses and always reimburse at 90% of the costs with no payout limits.
Trupanion covers a wide variety of different medical conditions for cats and dogs including:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Thyroid problems
- Upper respiratory infection
- Unexplained ailments, including weight changes or vomiting
- Congenital conditions including heart disease, liver disease, and cataracts
Trupanion will pay for all of the different services your animal may need when a problem develops including:
- Diagnostic tests
- Hospital stays
- Medications and supplements
- Herbal therapies
- Prosthetic devices
You also have the option to get a recovery and complementary care rider that pays for non-clinical procedures such as behavior modification therapy, hydrotherapy, rehabilitation, and chiropractic care.
How Much Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cost?
The costs of buying a Trupanion policy vary based on whether you have a cat or dog; your pet’s breed; and your animal’s age and health status.
Where is Trupanion Available?
Trupanion is available in all 50 states as well as in the District of Columbia. It is also available in Puerto Rico and Canada.
Pros & Cons of Trupanion Pet Insurance
- You can get guaranteed lifetime coverage for cats and dogs under 14. This means your pet will never be dropped by Trupanion just because your animal gets sick.
- Trupanion provides flexible, comprehensive coverage. You can get 90% coverage for vet bills and can customize your policy, including choosing your deductible.
- There’s no payout limits with Trupanion. You don’t have to worry if your pet ends up needing very expensive medical care.
- Trupanion is the only company who offers Vet Direct Pay.
- Deductibles are per incident or condition. While this can be a good thing if your pet develops a serious condition that needs costly treatment, it can also mean you have to pay multiple deductibles in a single year if your pet begins to suffer from different ailments.
- Trupanion premiums are on the high side compared to many competitors.
- Trupanion also charges a one-time administration fee when you enroll.
- You can’t get a wellness care policy. This means you will have to cover all of the routine costs of caring for your pet out-of-pocket.
Trupanion Customer Service
Here is some information about Trupanion’s customer service and how you can contact them:
- Trupanion is available 24/7 and can be reached via phone at 855-210-8749.
- Trupanion received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Trupanion has also received 4 ½ stars from consumers who left reviews on the BBB site. Some of the negative reviews complained of premium increases and failure to pay claims.
Bottom Line: Is Trupanion Pet Insurance Right for You?
If you are looking for a comprehensive pet health insurance policy that covers many conditions including hereditary and congenital conditions, Trupanion may be a good choice for you. Just be aware the deductible works differently with Trupanion policies, and you may pay higher premiums than with other pet insurance companies.4.12 Trupanion Pet Insurance