Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Trupanion offers medical pet insurance nationwide for dogs and cats.
- Routine care and pre-existing conditions aren’t covered.
- Trupanion’s monthly premiums may be higher than other options, especially if you live in a more expensive region.
What we like:
Unlimited benefit limit
|Monthly Premium||As low as $15|
|Deductible||$0 – $1,000 per condition|
|Benefit Limits||Not disclosed|
|Coverage||All cats and dogs under 14 are eligible for lifelong coverage|
No one wants to watch their pets suffer. Since your pet can’t communicate with you, figuring out what’s wrong and treating the issue can be complicated. The good news is, veterinary care has advanced, so pets can now have many of the same lifesaving procedures that people do.
But the bad news is, these procedures often come at a very high price, which can leave pet owners forced to choose between saving a pet and blowing through their budget.
Pet insurance can provide important protection to help you in these situations, but policies vary dramatically from one insurer to another. Trupanion is one insurer worth considering, and this Trupanion pet insurance review will help you decide if it’s the right one for you.
In this review:
- Trupanion Pet Insurance: Cost & coverage overview
- Pros & cons of Trupanion
- How to get a Trupanion policy
- Customer Service
- Where to find Trupanion alternatives
Trupanion Pet Insurance: Cost & coverage overview
|Trupanion Pet Insurance|
|LendEDU rating||4.4 / 5|
|Eligible pets||Dogs & cats|
|Maximum reimbursement amount||90%|
|Deductibles||$0 – $1,000|
|Monthly premiums||As low as $22|
Trupanion was first founded in 2000 as a company called Vetinsurance, and its first pet was insured in Vancouver, Canada. By 2004, Trupanion had become the first profitable pet insurer in North America.
Since that time, Trupanion has continued to grow, both expanding to new markets and adding new types of coverage, such as coverage for hip dysplasia.
What does Trupanion Pet Insurance cover?
Today, Trupanion offers a comprehensive array of pet insurance options as well as customizable policies, so pet owners can find the right coverage to meet their individual needs.
Included in these options is unlimited coverage, so there’s no cap on what the insurer will spend per condition your animal develops.
While you can customize your deductible with Trupanion, you don’t have the option to pick a particular plan. That’s because all Trupanion policies provide coverage for accidental injuries and illnesses and always reimburse at 90% of the costs with no payout limits.
Trupanion covers a wide variety of different medical conditions for cats and dogs including:
- Hip and elbow dysplasia
- Thyroid problems
- Upper respiratory infection
- Unexplained ailments, including weight changes or vomiting
- Congenital conditions including heart disease, liver disease, and cataracts
Trupanion will pay for all of the different services your animal may need when a problem develops including:
- Diagnostic tests
- Hospital stays
- Medications and supplements
- Herbal therapies
- Prosthetic devices
You also have the option to get a recovery and complementary care rider that pays for non-clinical procedures such as behavior modification therapy, hydrotherapy, rehabilitation, and chiropractic care.
How Much Does Trupanion Pet Insurance Cost?
The costs of buying a Trupanion policy vary based on whether you have a cat or dog; your pet’s breed; and your animal’s age and health status. Your location also plays a large role in how much you’ll pay.
However, monthly premiums begin at $22.
Pros & Cons of Trupanion Pet Insurance
- You can get guaranteed lifetime coverage for cats and dogs under 14. This means your pet will never be dropped by Trupanion just because your animal gets sick.
- Trupanion provides flexible, comprehensive coverage. You can get 90% coverage for vet bills and can customize your policy, including choosing your deductible.
- There’s no payout limits with Trupanion. You don’t have to worry if your pet ends up needing very expensive medical care.
- Trupanion is the only company that offers Vet Direct Pay.
- Deductibles are per incident or condition. This means you’ll have to pay multiple deductibles in a single year if your pet begins to suffer from different ailments.
- Trupanion premiums are on the high side compared to many competitors.
- Trupanion also charges a one-time administration fee when you enroll.
- You can’t get a wellness care policy. This means you will have to cover all of the routine costs of caring for your pet out-of-pocket.
- Pre-existing conditions aren’t covered.
How to get a Trupanion policy
You can get a quote in minutes on Trupanion’s website. You just need to provide your pet’s name, breed, gender, age, spayed/neutered status, whether your pet is a service animal, and your location.
You’ll then be prompted to choose from a variety of plan options, which vary in price and the size of your deductible. You can also choose to build a customized plan.
Once you’ve chosen a plan you’re happy with, you just need to pay the initial premium and a one-time administration fee of $35 to get covered.
Where is Trupanion offered?
Trupanion is available in all 50 states as well as in the District of Columbia. It is also available in Puerto Rico and Canada.
Trupanion customer service
Here is some information about Trupanion’s customer service and how you can contact them:
- Trupanion is available 24/7 and can be reached via phone at 855-210-8749.
- Trupanion received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau
- Trupanion has also received 4 ½ stars from consumers who left reviews on the BBB site. Some of the negative reviews complained of premium increases and failure to pay claims.
Where to find Trupanion alternatives
If you are looking for a comprehensive pet health insurance policy that covers many conditions including hereditary and congenital conditions, Trupanion may be a good choice for you.
Just be aware the deductible works differently with Trupanion policies, and you may pay higher premiums than with other options.
How we rated Trupanion Pet Insurance
Trupanion earned a LendEDU rating of 4.4 / 5. We rate pet insurance companies based on a variety of data points including coverage, cost, customer ratings, benefit limits, exclusions, and more. You can learn more about our methodology here.4.4 Trupanion Pet Insurance
Author: Christy Rakoczy