Our company receives compensation from partners seen on our website. Here's how we make money. Our research, news, ratings, and assessments are scrutinized using strict editorial integrity. Our editorial staff does not receive direction from advertisers on our website.
- Petsecure offers pet insurance for cats and dogs in Canada
- Unlimited coverage is available
- There is no maximum age for pets to get coverage
What we like:
|Medical Exam Required||petsecure-ins-759-medexamreq|
|Monthly Premiums||As low as $23 for cats and $41 for dogs|
|Deductibles||$100 – $700, depending on age and policy|
Owning a pet can be a joy, but caring for your furry friend is a big responsibility. Between accidents, illnesses, and wellness care, vet bills can get expensive. Many pet owners opt for pet health insurance to make sure they’re covered for peace of mind.
Petsecure is one of the leading pet insurance providers in Canada. We’ll walk you through everything you need to know to help you determine if this is the right insurer for your pet.
In this review:
- Petsecure Pet Insurance: At a glance
- Pros & cons of Petsecure
- How to get a Petsecure policy
- Where to find Petsecure alternatives
Petsecure Pet Insurance: At a glance
|Petsecure Pet Insurance|
|Minimum age||8 weeks|
|Deductibles||$100 – $700|
|Monthly premiums||From $41 for dogs and $23 for cats|
|Medical exam required?||petsecure-ins-759-medexamreq|
Petsecure pet insurance offers plans for pets of all ages, though the plan premiums do increase when you’re insuring your senior pet.
Located in Canada, they’ve been providing insurance to Canadian pet owners for over 30 years. They advertise that they’re the only insurance company in Canada to solely focus on pets.
How much does Petsecure cost?
Petsecure plans offer four levels of coverage: Secure 1, 2, 3, and 4. Policies for dogs range from $41 per month for Secure 1 to $139 per month for Secure 4. Cat policies are cheaper, ranging from $23 per month for Secure 1 to $73 per month for Secure 4.
Premiums are based on your pet’s breed, age, and where in Canada you live. You can get a personalized insurance quote on the Petsecure website to see what a policy for your pet may cost you at the different coverage levels.
What does Petsecure cover?
Petsecure covers a wide range of costs, including:
- Dental care
- Alternative treatments, like acupuncture and massage
- Emergency care and hospitalization
- Medical Devices
- Behavioral therapy
- Boarding and kennel fees if you are hospitalized and can’t care for your pet
- Lost pet advertising
- Holiday cancellation fees if your pet requires emergency, life-saving treatment
- Cremation or burial costs
Policies for Secure 4 plans also include wellness coverage, which covers annual exams, vaccinations, annual bloodwork, flea control, and preventive heartworm medication.
Pros & cons of Petsecure
- It’s easy to apply, and you’ll have a quote back immediately.
- If you have an older pet you’d like to insure, Petsecure makes it easy with no maximum age restriction. They do charge a higher deductible for pets over five years old.
- Four levels of coverage to help you choose the right level of coverage for your pet’s health.
- There is a 48-hour waiting period for accidents, a 14-day waiting period for illnesses and behavioral therapy, and a six-month waiting period for dental care.
- If your pet is sick or injured during the waiting period, they won’t be covered and the issues will be included as preexisting conditions on your policy.
- Petsecure plans don’t include treatment for umbilical hernias, spaying or neutering, breeding, or pregnancy.
- Preventive care isn’t covered unless you get the Petsecure 4 policy, which provides petsecure-ins-759-wellnesscov of wellness coverage to use each year.
How to get a Petsecure policy
Applying for a Petsecure policy is easy. Apply on their website with basic information about your pet: their name, breed, birthday, your postcode, and email address. Then, you’ll receive a quote, and you can pick which Petsecure policy (1-4) you’d like.
You’ll see the monthly premium for each option and the amount each policy will cover for treatments. If you have an older pet, Petsecure outlines what additional steps you need to take before your coverage can begin.
Once you’ve purchased a plan, you must satisfy the waiting period before you can make a claim. Anything that happens to your pet during the waiting period will be included as a preexisting condition and won’t be covered.
Dogs and cats eight weeks old and older are eligible to apply for a Petsecure policy. But you don’t have to worry about being turned down because your pet is too old—there is no maximum age for pets.
Petsecure plans are only available for people (and pets) living in Canada. You must be a Canadian citizen or resident to qualify for a policy, and you and your pet need to live in Canada for a minimum of six months each year.
How to apply
To start your application online, you’ll just need a few pieces of information: your pet’s name, age, breed, your postal code, and your email address.
If your dog is over eight years old or your cat is over 10 years old, they’ll require additional information, including a complete medical exam and your animal’s previous veterinary records. They’ll request this information after you receive the initial quote.
Where to find Petsecure alternatives
There are many pet insurance companies on the market, as well as pet wellness plans, so it’s a good idea to consider alternatives and compare your options. Read our guide to the best pet insurance companies to compare more options and find the plan that works best for you.