Affordable policies and an easy online quote process
- Monthly premium: $10 and up
- Benefit limit: $5,000 to $100,000
- Deductibles: $100, $250, or $500
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 9
Lemonade is a digital insurance company that offers renters, homeowners, and pet insurance policies. The company has been in business since 2015 and offers pet insurance coverage in 33 states plus the District of Columbia.
If you’re considering a pet insurance policy with Lemonade, read on to learn more.
In this review:
- Policy details
- What does Lemonade cover?
- How much does Lemonade cost?
- Customer ratings
- Pros and cons of Lemonade pet insurance
- How to get a pet insurance policy with Lemonade
|Eligible breeds||No stated restrictions|
|Eligible ages||No stated limit, but our attempts at quotes for dogs aged 10+ and cats aged 12+ were unsuccessful. Lemonade will never cancel coverage because of age.|
|Reimbursement||70%, 80%, or 90%|
|Deductible||$100, $250, or $500|
|Waiting period for illnesses||2 weeks|
|Waiting period for accidents||2 days|
|Medical exam required?||Yes|
What does Lemonade cover?
Lemonade’s basic pet insurance covers accidents, medications, and illnesses. You can also add on preventative and wellness care coverage to help keep your pet healthy. You can also extend accident and illness coverage to get even more.
Here’s a look at what Lemonade offers:
- Diagnostics due to accident or illness, including bloodwork, X-rays, MRIs, and ultrasounds
- Emergency care
- Outpatient and surgical procedures
- Wellness and preventative efforts, including annual exams, heartworm testing, and vaccines (add-on coverage)
- Extended accident and illness, including exam fees, physical therapy, and acupuncture (add-on coverage)
Here’s what’s not covered
- Preexisting conditions
- Experimental treatments, such as CBD oils
- Dental care
- General diagnostics unrelated to an accident or illness
- Prescription food
- Boarding or day care
How much does Lemonade cost?
Lemonade’s pet insurance starts as low as $10 per month, but the cost can vary. The company considers your pet’s age, breed, size, where you live, and the costs of veterinary care in your area.
Adding on coverages such as wellness and preventative care will increase your cost.
Here’s a look at what it would cost to insure different pets:
|Type of pet||Location||Cost|
|Mixed-breed dog, 5 years old||Brooklyn, NY||$30.33 per month|
|Maine coon cat, 7 years old||Houston, TX||$24.58 per month|
|Labrador dog, 9 years old||St. Louis, MO||$77.33 per month|
|Domestic longhair cat, 11 years old||St. Louis, MO||$35.08 per month|
As you can see, monthly premiums come in a broad range and depend on your situation.
A company’s customer ratings can help you gauge its service quality, how quickly it pays out claims, and other important aspects.
Here’s where Lemonade ranks with customers:
|App store||4.9/5 (Apple) 4.5/5 (Google Play)|
|Better Business Bureau||4.41/5|
Pros and cons of Lemonade pet insurance
Easy and fast online application process
Additional wellness and preventative coverage offered
Discounts available if you have a renters or homeowners policy with Lemonade
Age restrictions apply
Not available in all 50 states
How to get a pet insurance policy with Lemonade
To apply for an insurance policy with Lemonade, you’ll need to live in one of the 33 states where this coverage is currently offered. Here are the states where Lemonade pet insurance is offered:
District of Columbia
If you’re in a covered state, getting a policy is simple. Here’s how it works:
- Visit Lemonade’s website
- Enter your pet’s name
- Select dog or cat
- Enter your address, and wait for the map to populate
- Enter your pet’s age, breed, and gender
- Select your pet’s size and weight
- Select your pet’s overall health
- Add other pets in your household
- Review your quote, add desired coverages, and enter your payment information
Once you’ve paid and the waiting period has passed, your pet is insured.
Where to find Lemonade alternatives
Lemonade offers low-cost pet insurance policies, but it’s not your only option. Make sure to compare multiple options to ensure you get the best rate and coverage for your pet’s needs.
Want to view rates from Lemonade? Check out its website.
- Monthly premium: As low as $10
- Benefit limit: $5,000 – $100,000
- Reimbursement: 70%, 80%, or 90%