Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
Lemonade is a fully digital insurance company that offers renters, homeowners, and pet insurance policies. The company has been in business since 2015 and offers pet insurance coverage in 33 states plus the District of Columbia.
If you’re considering a pet insurance policy with Lemonade, read on to learn more.
In this review:
- Policy details
- What does Lemonade cover?
- How much does Lemonade cost?
- Customer ratings
- Pros and cons of Lemonade pet insurance
- How to get a pet insurance policy with Lemonade
|Eligible breeds||No stated restrictions|
|Eligible ages||No stated limit, though attempts at quotes for dogs aged ten and over and cats aged 12 and over were unsuccessful. Lemonade will never cancel existing coverage because of age.|
|Reimbursement||70%, 80%, or 90%|
|Deductible||$100, $250, or $500|
|Waiting period for illnesses||2 weeks|
|Waiting period for accidents||2 days|
|Medical exam required?||Yes|
What does Lemonade cover?
Lemonade’s basic pet insurance covers things like accidents, medications, and illnesses. You can also add on preventative and wellness care coverage, to help keep your pet healthy, and extended accident and illness coverage to get even more.
Here’s a look at what’s all offered at Lemonade:
- Diagnostics needed due to accident or illness, including bloodwork, X-rays, MRIs, ultrasounds, and more
- Emergency care
- Outpatient and surgical procedures
- Wellness and preventative efforts, including annual exams, heartworm testing, and vaccines (add-on coverage)
- Extended accident and illness, including exam fees, physical therapy, and acupuncture (add-on coverage)
Here’s what’s not covered
- Pre-existing conditions
- Experimental treatments, like CBD oils
- Dental care
- General diagnostics not related to an accident or illness
- Prescription food
- Boarding or daycare
How much does Lemonade cost?
Lemonade’s pet insurance starts as low as $10 per month, though the actual cost can vary widely. The company considers your pet’s age, breed, size, where you live, and the costs of veterinary care in your area.
If you add on additional coverages, like wellness and preventative care, this will impact your cost.
Here’s a look at what it would cost to insure a few different pets:
|Type of pet||Location||Cost|
|Mixed breed dog, five years old||Brooklyn, NY||$30.33 per month|
|Maine Coon cat, seven years old||Houston, TX||$24.58 per month|
|Labrador dog, nine years old||St. Louis, MO||$77.33 per month|
|Domestic longhair cat, 11 years old||St. Louis, MO||$35.08 per month|
As you can see, monthly premiums come in a broad range and are highly dependent on your unique situation.
A company’s customer ratings can help you gauge their service quality, how quickly they pay out claims, and other important aspects.
Here’s where Lemonade ranks with customers currently:
|App store||4.9/5 (Apple) 4.5/5 (Google Play)|
|Better Business Bureau||4.41/5|
Pros and cons of Lemonade pet insurance
- Easy and fast online application process
- Additional wellness and preventative coverage offered
- Low costs
- Discounts available if you have a renters or homeowners policy with Lemonade
- Some age restrictions apply
- Not available in all 50 states
How to get a pet insurance policy with Lemonade
To apply for an insurance policy with Lemonade, you’ll need to live in one of the 33 states where this coverage is currently offered. Here are the states where Lemonade pet insurance is offered:
|Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin||Alaska, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, South Dakota, Vermont, and Wyoming|
If you’re in a covered state, the process for getting your policy is simple. Here’s how it works:
- Visit Lemonade’s website
- Enter your pet’s name
- Select dog or cat
- Enter your address and wait for the map to populate
- Enter your pet’s age, breed, and gender
- Select your pet’s size and weight
- Select your pet’s overall health
- Add any additional pets in your household
- Review your quote, add any additional coverages, and enter your payment information
Once you’ve paid and the waiting period has passed, your pet will officially be insured.
Where to find Lemonade alternatives
Lemonade offers low-cost pet insurance policies, but it’s not your only option. Make sure to compare multiple options to ensure you get the best rate and coverage for your pet’s needs.
You can check out our guide for a pet insurance comparison of the top companies.
Want to view rates from Lemonade? Check out its website.
As low as $10
$5,000 to $100,000
70%, 80%, or 90%
Author: Aly Yale