While IRS debt can eventually go away, it’s a long, costly road to get there. Here’s a look at when tax debt expires and what to do if you owe.

Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.