Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Offers tax preparation and problem resolution services
- Service starts at $250
- Best for people with significant tax debt
Everyone has to pay taxes, but sometimes, a big tax bill can take you by surprise. If you don’t have enough money to pay your tax bill, you could wind up dealing with expensive penalties and interest, on top of a large tax debt.
Community Tax is a company that offers tax resolution and preparation services to help people who are in debt to the IRS or are simply looking for a professional tax preparation service. It can help you resolve issues like tax debt and wage garnishments, or assist you with setting up a payment plan.
Community Tax is a nationwide leader assisting people who have fallen behind on their taxes and who need help working with the IRS to resolve their back taxes. Additionally, they are a full-service tax company that offers a variety of services to consumers and businesses, including bookkeeping, payroll, among others.
In this review:
- What services Community Tax offers
- How much does Community Tax cost?
- How much can Community Tax save me?
- Pros & cons of Community Tax
- How Community Tax services work
- Community Tax reputation and accreditations
- Frequently asked questions about Community Tax
- Where to find alternatives to Community Tax
What services Community Tax offers
Community Tax offers a variety of services related to preparing and paying taxes. It is an industry leader when it comes to helping people who have fallen behind on paying their taxes, placing themselves in debt with the IRS. The company also offers a full suite of accounting and bookkeeping services.
- Tax Resolution: Assisting people with tax issues is Community Tax’s primary service. The company can help you resolve disputes with the IRS, set up payment plans, and deal with actions that the IRS has taken against you, like wage garnishments.
- Tax Preparation: If you need help preparing your taxes to make sure you don’t run into issues with the IRS, Community Tax can help you fill out the proper forms and take the right deductions to minimize your bill.
- Accounting: Small business taxes can be incredibly complex, which makes it difficult for small business owners to handle them when they’re focusing on other parts of running their companies. Community Tax can help with small business accounting to make taxes easier.
- Bookkeeping: Community Tax can help businesses do their bookkeeping and make it easier to file their taxes at the end of the year.
- Tax Assurance Program: The Tax Assurance Program keeps you up to date with changes to the tax code and how you’re handling your taxes. If you’ve had issues in the past, this program helps you stay on top of fixing them. It can also help you avoid tax problems in the future.
How much does Community Tax cost?
Community Tax offers a variety of services. The cost varies depending on your particular situation and the services you decide to use, but for help resolving tax issues, the minimum cost is $250. The average customer pays anywhere from $2,000 – $4,000 for the company’s help. However, when choosing Community Tax, you will receive a transparent breakdown of all fees, and exactly what services you are paying for.
Typically, the more complex your tax situation, and the more money that you owe, the more costly the company’s services will be. Someone who needs to set up a payment plan will likely pay less than someone with significant debt and wage garnishments who is trying to settle with the IRS.
The company offers free consultations, so you can meet with a representative to get an idea as to the help they can provide and the fee you’ll pay. After the initial consultation, Community Tax can help you establish a payment plan, get the IRS to declare your tax liability uncollectible, or to settle for less than you owe.
For the Tax Assurance Program, the typical cost is $35/month and includes monitoring of your tax circumstances, as well as a tax return at year-end.
How much can Community Tax save me?
It’s hard to provide a solid number for how much Community Tax can save each customer. The amount that you owe and your unique situation will determine the potential savings. Someone who owes a significant amount has the chance to save more than someone who owes less.
One thing that Community Tax can help people with is settling their tax debt for less than the full amount, especially by getting the IRS to waive penalties. Some customers have saved as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars with the company’s assistance.
Community Tax can also help customers set up payment plans. These plans may end up costing more than the original bill over the long term, but they are far easier to handle because they involve smaller installment payments each month.
Pros & cons of Community Tax
- Helps with a variety of tax issues
- May be able to settle for less than you owe
- Free consultations available
- Can help with tax preparation to avoid issues in the future
- Costs are not listed on the website
- Costs can be high for complex financial situations
- You can often negotiate with the IRS on your own, for free
How Community Tax services work
Working with Community Tax is a multi-step process, but it may help you resolve tax debt and save you money.
- Set up a free consultation with a representative.
- Discuss your tax situation with a CPA or other specialist.
- Submit financial and tax documents to the tax professionals.
- Wait for Community Tax to develop a plan.
- Accept or edit the plan, including the fee you will pay to Community Tax.
- Community Tax contacts the IRS.
- Follow the plan until your tax debt is resolved.
>> Ready to apply for relief with Community Tax? Check out its website.
Community Tax reputation and accreditations
Community Tax has a solid reputation as a good company with which to work. It has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars from consumers. Trustpilot users have offered similar feedback, giving it an average of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
The reputation and ratings mean that most consumers can feel comfortable working with the company.
Frequently asked questions about Community Tax
- Is it worth it? Whether working with Community Tax is worth it depends on your situation. If you have significant tax debt and need help resolving it, the company may be able to save you a lot of money. If your bill is small, the cost of the service probably isn’t worth paying.
- How long does it take? Working with Community Tax can be a fast or slow process depending on your situation. If you settle with the IRS through an offer in compromise, you can be done in as little as one payment, however, the process is more complicated and lengthier. Longer-term payment plans may last for years, but generally can be established quicker.
- With what amounts of tax debt can Community Tax help? Community Tax helps with all kinds of tax debts, but people with large amounts will typically save more. Because the service starts at a cost of $250, it may be unsuitable for people with smaller debts. However, Community Tax does offer programs to assist individuals with smaller tax debts.
- With which type of tax debt does Community Tax help? Community Tax can help with both federal and state tax debts.
- Do I need a company like Community Tax to help me or can I do it myself? You do not need to work with a company to resolve tax issues. You can work directly with the IRS. However, many people find this difficult or stressful, so working with professionals can make it easier.
- Does the IRS really forgive tax debt? Yes, in some cases, the IRS will forgive your debt, meaning you don’t have to pay it. Community Tax may be able to help you get debt forgiven, but you can also work directly with the IRS to ask for tax debt forgiveness.
Where to find alternatives to Community Tax
Community Tax is far from the only company that offers help with tax debt. If you’re looking for help in dealing with the IRS, you can check out our guide to the best tax relief companies or consider working with one of these other businesses.
Anthem Tax Services
Anthem Tax Services, like Community Tax, can help people resolve tax debt they have with the IRS.
Unlike Community Tax, which also offers tax preparation services, Anthem Tax Services focuses primarily on resolving issues with tax debt. It also focuses mostly on customers with $10,000 or more in tax debt.
Tax Hardship Center
Tax Hardship Center is another company that helps consumers with tax debt and offers tax preparation services. Its services are more expensive, starting at $495. Like Anthem, the company requires customers to have at least $10,000 in tax debt.
Ready to apply with Community Tax? Check out its website.
Start at $250
Nationwide (no resolution services in MN or ND)
Author: TJ Porter