What we like:
A low minimum tax debt requirement
|Availability||Nationwide for individuals and businesses|
|Minimum tax debt||$7,500|
|Consultation||Free by calling (855) 812-4507|
|Staff||Comprised of licensed tax practitioners|
Everyone has to pay taxes, but sometimes, a big tax bill can take you by surprise. If you don’t have enough money to pay your tax bill, you could deal with expensive penalties and interest on top of a large tax debt.
Community Tax offers tax resolution and preparation services to help people in debt to the IRS or seeking a professional tax preparation service. It can help you resolve issues such as tax debt and wage garnishments or assist in setting up a payment plan.
Community Tax is a nationwide leader assisting people who have fallen behind on their taxes and who need help working with the IRS to resolve their back taxes. This full-service tax company offers various services to consumers and businesses, including bookkeeping and payroll.
In this review:
- What services Community Tax offers
- How much does Community Tax cost?
- How much can Community Tax save me?
- Pros & cons of Community Tax
- How Community Tax services work
- Community Tax reputation and accreditations
- FAQ about Community Tax
- Where to find alternatives to Community Tax
What services Community Tax offers
Community Tax offers a variety of services related to preparing and paying taxes. It is an industry leader in helping people who have fallen behind in paying their taxes, placing themselves in debt with the IRS. The company also offers a full suite of accounting and bookkeeping services.
- Tax resolution: Assisting people with tax issues is Community Tax’s primary service. The company can help you resolve disputes with the IRS, set up payment plans, and deal with actions that the IRS has taken against you, like wage garnishments.
- Tax preparation: If you need help preparing your taxes to make sure you don’t run into issues with the IRS, Community Tax can help you fill out the proper forms and take the right deductions to minimize your bill.
- Accounting: Small business taxes can be complex. Community Tax can help with small business accounting to make taxes easier.
- Bookkeeping: Community Tax can help businesses do their bookkeeping and make it easier to file taxes at the end of the year.
- Tax Assurance Program: The Tax Assurance Program keeps you up to date with changes to the tax code and how you’re handling your taxes. If you’ve had issues, this program helps you stay on top of fixing them. It can also help you avoid tax problems in the future.
How much does Community Tax cost?
Community Tax offers a variety of services. The cost varies depending on your situation and the services you use, but for help resolving tax issues, the minimum cost is $250. The average customer pays $2,000 to $4,000 for the company’s help. However, Community Tax will provide a transparent breakdown of all fees and services you’re paying for.
Typically, the more complex your tax situation and the more money you owe, the more costly the company’s services will be. Someone who needs to set up a payment plan will likely pay less than someone with significant debt and wage garnishments trying to settle with the IRS.
The company offers free consultations, so you can meet with a representative to understand the help they can provide and the fee you’ll pay. After the initial consultation, Community Tax can help you establish a payment plan, get the IRS to declare your tax liability uncollectible, or settle for less than you owe.
For the Tax Assurance Program, the typical cost is $35 per month and includes monitoring of your tax circumstances, as well as a tax return at year end.
How much can Community Tax save me?
It’s hard to provide a solid number for how much Community Tax can save each customer. The amount you owe and your situation will determine the potential savings. Someone who owes a significant amount can save more than someone who owes less.
Community Tax can help people settle their tax debt for less than the full amount, especially by getting the IRS to waive penalties. Customers have saved as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars with the company’s assistance.
Community Tax can also help customers set up payment plans. These plans may cost more than the original bill over the long term, but they are far easier to handle because they involve smaller installment payments each month.
Pros & cons of Community Tax
Helps with a variety of tax issues
May be able to settle for less than you owe
Free consultations available
Can help with tax preparation to avoid issues in the future
Costs are not listed on the website
Costs can be high for complex financial situations
You can often negotiate with the IRS on your own for free
How Community Tax services work
Working with Community Tax is a multistep process, but it may help you resolve tax debt and save money.
- Set up a free consultation with a representative at (855)-812-4507.
- Discuss your tax situation with a CPA or other specialist.
- Submit financial and tax documents to the tax professionals.
- Wait for Community Tax to develop a plan.
- Accept or edit the plan, including the fee you’ll pay to Community Tax.
- Community Tax contacts the IRS.
- Follow the plan until your tax debt is resolved.
>> Ready to apply for relief with Community Tax? Check out its website.
Community Tax reputation and accreditations
Community Tax has a solid reputation. It has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and an average customer rating of 4.33 out of 5 stars.
Trustpilot users have offered similar feedback, giving it an average of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
The reputation and ratings mean consumers can feel comfortable working with the company.
FAQ about Community Tax
- Is it worth it? Whether working with Community Tax is worth it depends on your situation. If you have significant tax debt and need help resolving it, the company may be able to save you money. If your bill is small, the cost of the service may not be worth it.
- How long does it take? Working with Community Tax can be a fast or slow process depending on your situation. If you settle with the IRS through an offer in compromise, you can be finished in as little as one payment. Longer-term payment plans may last for years but can often be established faster.
- What amounts of tax debt can Community Tax help with? Community Tax helps with all kinds of tax debts, but people with large amounts often save more. Because the service starts at a cost of $250, it may be unsuitable for people with smaller debts. However, Community Tax offers programs to assist individuals with smaller tax debts.
- Which type of tax debt does Community Tax help with? Community Tax can help with federal and state tax debts.
- Do I need a company like Community Tax to help me, or can I do it myself? You do not need to work with a company to resolve tax issues. You can work with the IRS. However, many people find this difficult or stressful, so working with professionals can make it easier.
- Does the IRS really forgive tax debt? Yes. In some cases, the IRS will forgive your debt, meaning you don’t have to pay it. Community Tax may be able to help you get debt forgiven, but you can also ask the IRS for tax debt forgiveness.
Where to find alternatives to Community Tax
Community Tax is far from the only company that offers help with tax debt. If you’re looking for help dealing with the IRS, check out our guide to the best tax relief companies, or consider working with one of these other businesses.
Anthem Tax Services
Anthem Tax Services, like Community Tax, can help people resolve their IRS tax debt.
Unlike Community Tax, which also offers tax preparation services, Anthem Tax Services focuses on resolving issues with tax debt and customers with $10,000 or more in tax debt.
Tax Hardship Center
Tax Hardship Center is another company that helps consumers with tax debt and offers tax preparation services. Its services start at $495. Like Anthem, the company requires customers to have at least $10,000 in tax debt.
Ready to apply with Community Tax? Check out its website.
- Costs: Starting at $295
- Free consultation? Yes
- States serviced: All (but no resolution services in Minnesota or North Dakota)