National General RV Insurance Review
National General is one of the largest RV insurers in the nation. With full-timer coverage, a slew of discounts, and high ratings, it might be an option for your RV. This National General RV insurance review can help you decide.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
- Lots of coverage options and discounts available
- Customer service is highly rated and available 24-7
- Doesn’t cover all RV classes
What we like:
Lots of coverage options, Multiple discounts (including in-storage and safe driver ones)
|J. D. Power Overall Satisfaction Ranking||820 / 1,000|
|A.M. Best Rating||A-|
|Customer Service||Available via phone or online chat|
There’s nothing like life on the open road—and more and more Americans are realizing that. In fact, according to the RV Industry Association, RV orders were up nearly 30% in January 2020, with more than 33,000 new RVs going out in just that month.
But while RV living can certainly have its perks, it also comes with responsibilities—namely, maintaining RV insurance. Fortunately, there are dozens of options you can choose from when insuring your recreational vehicle, and the National General Insurance Company is just one of them.
Use this National General RV Insurance review to see if it’s the right fit for your vehicle and lifestyle.
In this review:
- National General RV Insurance: At a glance
- Pros and cons of National General RV Insurance
- Who’s eligible to get National General RV Insurance coverage?
- How to get a National General RV Insurance policy
- Where to find alternatives to National General motorhome insurance
National General RV Insurance: At a glance
|National General RV Insurance|
|J.D. Power Score||820 / 1,000|
|A.M. Best Rating||A-|
|Discounts Available||Safe driving, low mileage, in-storage, paid-in-full, paperless statements, motorcycle insurance bundling, auto insurance bundling, multi-vehicle discount|
|Coverage Options||Permanent attachment, full replacement, collision, liability, bodily injury, personal belongings, specialized equipment, emergency food and lodging, mechanical breakdown, rental car insurance, full-timer, Mexico|
National General offers a wide variety of coverage options, including policies for full-time RV residents. There’s also a valuable in-storage discount, which lets you pause collision and liability coverage when your vehicle’s in storage and off the road.
All in all, National General offers coverage for:
- Specialized equipment coverage for your RV’s most valuable features (solar panels, custom wheels, etc.)
- Permanent attachment coverage for awnings and other affixed structures
- Full replacement cost coverage for your RV in the event of a total loss or theft
- Liability coverage for half-time residents (at least six months out of the year)
- Personal belonging coverage for your RV’s contents and personal items
- Emergency expenses (housing, lodging, etc.) if your RV is out of commission
- Roadside assistance, including towing, emergency fuel delivery, etc.
- Rental car coverage
- Full-timer coverage for round-the-clock RV residents
- Mexico RV insurance if you’re traveling south
From a service perspective, National General stands out with its 24-7 claims support and assistance. You can even contact customer service via chat. Moreover, the company also waives up to $250 off your deductible if you’re ever unhappy with their claims support.
Pros and cons of National General RV Insurance
- In-storage discounts
- 24-7 claims support
- Full-timer and mechanical breakdown coverage
- Low rates compared to other insurance options
- Online insurance quotes, claims, and application process
- No specific policies for part-timers, weekenders, or vacation travelers
- Doesn’t cover all RV classes (you have to get a quote to see if yours is covered)
- Large number of complaints with the Better Business Bureau
- Sparse website with very little information
Who’s eligible to get National General RV Insurance coverage?
To be eligible for a National General RV insurance policy, you’ll need to have a qualifying RV. These include Class A, B, and C motorhomes and conventional, fifth wheel, truck, pop-up, and Airstream travel trailers.
Drivable Airstream campers, horse trailers, toterhomes, and semi-trucks are not eligible.
How to get a National General RV Insurance policy
To get started with National General, you’ll need to get a quote first, which you can do either online or over the phone.
You’ll first be asked a number of basic questions about your RV (e.g. do you drive it or tow it?), how long you live in your vehicle, and the class your RV falls into. You’ll then add info about each motorist you want to be covered and the exact coverages you’re looking for.
Once you receive your quote, you can then opt to move forward or decline. If you accept the quote, you can pay your first year’s insurance premium in full to qualify for a discount.
Where to find alternatives to National General motorhome insurance
Your insurance policy is likely one of your biggest costs as an RV owner. But if you live in your vehicle full-time (or even part-time), cutting corners isn’t a smart option. You wouldn’t own a home without homeowners insurance. An RV is no different.
The right RV coverage can prevent significant financial losses if you’re in an accident, your vehicle is stolen, or some other emergency occurs.
To make sure you’re getting the best coverage at the best possible rate, it’s smart to get quotes from at least three RV insurance companies before securing your policy.
Need help finding insurers to start with? Our guide to the best RV insurance companies can light the way.
Author: Aly Yale