Many or all companies we feature compensate us. Compensation and editorial
research influence how products appear on a page.
Insurance Auto Insurance

Is RV Insurance Required in My State?

If you’ve ever daydreamed about traveling cross country in an RV, you’re not alone. According to data from the RV Industry Association (RVIA), over 11 million households in the nation own an RV. 

And while you fantasize about what sights you’ll see, you’ll want to consider necessary expenses, such as RV insurance.

We’ve researched RV insurance requirements by state. 

In this guide:

Is RV insurance required in my state?

While the type and amount of coverage for RV insurance vary per state, most states require liability insurance for your recreational vehicle. For instance, Florida’s RV insurance requirements will differ from if your RV’s domicile was established in Kansas.

If your RV is a motor home, meaning it’s self-powered, you likely need a separate insurance policy. 

RVs that don’t have a motor and can be towed—think trailers, fifth wheel, campers, or travel trailers—are often covered under your towing vehicle’s liability policy.

Another consideration: RV insurance is often required whether you live in it part-time or full-time, but you might need more coverage if you live in it year-round.

StateRV insurance mandatory? (Requirements below.)
New HampshireNo
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota 
West Virginia

Here are the specific requirements for each state:

Alabama$25,000 in bodily injury (BI) per person
$50,000 in total bodily injury (BI) per accident
$25,000 in property damage (PD) per accident
Alaska$50,000/$100,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Arizona $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$15,000 (PD)
Arkansas $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
California $15,000/$30,000 (BI) 
$5,000 (PD)
Colorado$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$15,000 (PD)
Connecticut$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Delaware$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)

$15,000 in personal injury protection (PIP)
Florida $10,000 (PD)

$10,000 (PIP)
Georgia $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Hawaii$20,000/$40,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)
Idaho$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$15,000 (PD)
Illinois $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$20,000 (PD)
Indiana $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Idaho$20,000/$40,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Kansas$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)

PIP includes medical treatment expenses: $4,500 per person. (See all Kansas PIP requirements.)

$25,000 in uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UMBI) to one person 
$50,000 in uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UMBI) per accident

Kentucky$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Louisiana $15,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD) 
Maine $50,000/$100,000 (BI) 
$25,000 (PD)
Maryland $30,000/$60,000 (BI) 
$15,000 (PD)
Massachusetts $20,000/$40,000 (BI)
$5,000 (PD)

$8,000 (PIP)
Minimum $2,000 in medical payments coverage to one person
$20,000/$40,000 (UM/UMBI)
Michigan$50,000/$100,000 (BI) 
$10,000 (PD) 
Minnesota $30,000/$60,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD) 

$40,000 (PIP) ($20,000 in medical payments and $20,000 in economic loss) 
$25,000/$50,000 (UM/UMBI) 
Mississippi $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Missouri$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Montana$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$20,000 (PD)
Nebraska$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Nevada $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$20,000 (PD)
New HampshireNone 
New Jersey$10,000 (BI) per accident
$5,000 (PD)

$15,000 (PIP) 
New Mexico$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)
New York$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)
North Carolina$30,000/$60,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD) 

$30,000/$60,000 (UM/UMBI)
$30,000 UM coverage in property damage per accident
North Dakota$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)

$25,000/$50,000 (UM/UMBI)
$30,000 (PIP) 
Ohio$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Oklahoma$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Oregon$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$20,000 (PD)

$25,000/$50,000 (UM/UMBI)
$15,000 (PIP) 
Pennsylvania $15,000/$30,000 (BI)
$5,000 (PD)
Rhode Island $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
South Carolina$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)

$25,000/$50,000 (UM/UMBI)
$25,000 UM coverage in PD per person
South Dakota$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Tennessee $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Texas$30,000/$60,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Utah$25,000/$65,000 (BI)
$15,000 (PD)
Vermont$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)

$50,000/$100,000 (UM/UMBI)
$10,000 (PIP)
Washington$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$10,000 (PD)
West Virginia $25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$25,000 (PD)
Wisconsin$10,000/$25,000 (BI)
$50,000 (PD)
Wyoming$25,000/$50,000 (BI)
$20,000 (PD)

Limits confirmed in January 2023.

Your state’s minimum RV insurance requirements might not be sufficient for your needs. It’s wise to weigh the costs against your unique situation and preferences.

And if your state doesn’t require RV insurance, you still might be on the hook for some form of financial liability. 

Do I need RV insurance in my state if I lease an RV?

If you lease an RV in your state, not only do you need the minimum required coverage for RV insurance in liability, but your lender might require collision insurance, comprehensive insurance, or both. The specifics of coverage depend on the lender. 

Do I need RV insurance in my state if I own my RV outright?

Just as you need coverage if you own your car, if your RV is paid in full, you still need RV insurance in your state. This applies to motor homes. If it’s a trailer or camper you can pull, you aren’t required to carry RV insurance in most states.

Almost every state requires RV insurance. Many don’t require collision or comprehensive coverage, but you’ll need the state’s minimum liability coverage. Some states require minimum uninsured or underinsured motorist insurance and personal injury protection coverage.

The two states that don’t require RV insurance are New Hampshire and Virginia. However, New Hampshire requires you to assume financial responsibility if you’re at fault in an accident. In Virginia, to drive without insurance, you must pay the uninsured motorist (UM) fee to the DMV.

As mentioned, the coverage varies per state. At a minimum, you must have the same liability coverage as a standard vehicle in your state. 

What state’s laws apply if I plan to live in my RV and travel cross-country?

If you plan to live in your RV and travel across the nation, you’ll need to establish a domicile, or a permanent RV address. You don’t have to live there full-time, but you must stay at your domicile for part of the year. 

Your permanent RV address determines the state where you’ll need to purchase RV insurance. From there, you must purchase at least the minimum state coverage. 

Here’s where it gets tricky: RV and trailer laws vary by state. For instance, some states don’t allow you to live full-time in your RV on your property, others require you to have a title and registration for your camper, and so forth.

Before embarking on a cross-country trip, read up on the rules and laws around RV life in your respective state or states you travel through. 

How do I know my vehicle qualifies as an RV?

Short for recreational vehicle, your vehicle falls under the RV category if it’s a motor home. An RV needs to be self-powered and have a motor.

Across all states, RVs fall into one of three classes:

Class A: A Class A motor home is the largest and most luxurious. It often comes with the most features. In most states, Class A motor homes are up to 45 feet long and are diesel- or gas-fueled. 

Class B: Sometimes known as a camper van, a Class B motor home is on the smaller end and is often built on a van chassis. Compared to Class A motor homes, Class B seem no-frills. They have a sleeping area, bathroom, and kitchen. They can be up to 25 feet long but are often 21 feet in length or smaller.

Class C: A Class C motor home is midsize, between 21 and 25 feet long. Often built on a truck chassis, a Class C motor home is more spacious than a camper van and has an overhead space above the cab. A Class C motor home is also often more fuel-efficient and easier to drive than a Class A, which is comparable in size to a tour bus. 

Next steps if you need RV insurance in your state

Research insurance companies

If you’re the proud owner of an RV, the first step is to do your homework and look at policies from different RV insurance companies. Figure out the minimum required coverage for your state, and assess your true insurance needs.

Questions to ask yourself: 

  • Will you be living in your RV part-time or full-time? 
  • Where will you be traveling and under what weather conditions? 
  • How much can you afford to pay out of pocket if you get into an accident or something happens to your RV? 

Gather quotes 

In requesting quotes from insurance companies, make sure the coverage types and amounts are the same. Compare them side by side. 

Besides the cost of premiums, you’ll want to look at deductibles, fees, and available discounts. Begin your insurance search with your current provider for home and/or auto insurance—bundling coverage may provide discounts.

Choose coverage and an insurance company

Once you’ve done your research, decide which insurance company and policy best meets your needs. 

Depending on the company, you may be able to fill out an application online. In addition to personal information, you’ll fill in specifics about your RV and disclose how and how often you’ll use it.