APRs shown for the Custom Choice Loan include the summer savings rate discount; Lowest APRs shown include a 0.50% interest rate reduction for auto pay from a SunTrust account .2
Before applying for a private student loan, SunTrust recommends comparing all aid alternatives including grants, scholarships, and both federal and private student loans.
© 2019 SunTrust Banks, Inc. SUNTRUST, the SunTrust logo and Custom Choice Loan are trademarks of SunTrust Banks, Inc. All rights reserved.
Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. SunTrust Bank reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. Availability of all loan programs is subject to approval under the SunTrust credit policy and other criteria and programs may not be available in certain jurisdictions.
1. Interest rates and APRs (Annual Percentage Rates) depend upon (1) the student’s and cosigner’s (if applicable) credit histories, (2) the repayment option and repayment term selected, (3) the requested loan amount and (4) other information provided on the online loan application. If approved, applicants will be notified of the rate applicable to your loan. Rates and terms are effective for applications received after on or after 08/01/2019. The variable interest rate for each calendar month is calculated by adding the current index (One-month LIBOR index) to your margin.
LIBOR stands for London Interbank Offered Rate. The One-month LIBOR is published in the “Money Rates” section of the Wall Street Journal (Eastern Edition). The One-month LIBOR index is captured on the 25th day of the immediately preceding calendar month (or if the 25th is not a business day, the next business day thereafter), and is rounded up to the nearest 1/8th of one percent. The current One-month LIBOR index is 2.375% on 08/01/2019. The variable interest rate will increase or decrease if the One-month LIBOR index changes or if a new index is chosen. The applicable index or margin for variable rate loans may change over time and result in a different APR than shown. The fixed rate assigned to a loan will never change except as required by law or if you request and qualify for the auto pay discount.
2. APRs assume a $10,000 loan with two-disbursements and the summer savings rate discount of 0.50% (applicable to Custom Choice Loan applications submitted for a credit decision between 12:00:00am EST on June 1, 2019 and 11:59:59pm EST on August 31, 2019). The high APRs assume a 15-year term with deferred principal payments. The low APRs assume a 7-year term, no deferment and payments beginning 30-60 days after the last disbursement via auto pay from a SunTrust Bank account. Auto pay from a SunTrust Bank checking, savings, or money market account yields a 0.50% interest rate reduction which is applied after the Servicer validates your bank account information. The 0.50% auto pay discount will continue until (1) three automatic deductions are returned for insufficient funds during the life of the loan (after which the discount cannot be reinstated) or (2) automatic deduction of payments is stopped (including during any deferment or forbearance, even if payments are made).The auto pay discount will be reduced to 0.25% if automatic deductions continue from an account other than a SunTrust Bank account. In the event the auto pay discount is discontinued, the loan will accrue interest at the rate stated in your Credit Agreement.
3. Offer valid for new Custom Choice Loans for which applications are submitted for a credit decision between 12:00:00am EST on June 1, 2019 and 11:59:59pm EST on August 31, 2019. A 0.50% interest rate reduction will be included in the loan options presented to an applicant during the online application process, upon passing the initial credit review. The interest rate reduction will be applied as of the first disbursement date and will be effective for the life of the loan. Discount is not available on the Union Federal Private Student Loan.
4. Earn an interest rate reduction for making automatic payments of principal and interest from a bank account (“auto pay discount”) by completing the direct debit form provided by the Servicer. Earn a 0.25% interest rate reduction when you auto pay from any bank account and an extra 0.25% interest rate reduction when you auto pay from a SunTrust Bank checking, savings, or money market account. The auto pay discount will be applied after the Servicer validates your bank account information and will continue until (1) three automatic deductions are returned for insufficient funds during the life of the loan (after which the discount cannot be reinstated) or (2) automatic deduction of payments is stopped (including during any deferment or forbearance, even if payments are made). In addition, the extra 0.25% interest rate reduction for auto pay from a SunTrust Bank checking, savings or money market account will be discontinued if automatic payments are no longer made from one of the aforementioned SunTrust Bank accounts. In the event the auto pay discount is discontinued, the loan will accrue interest at the rate stated in your Credit Agreement.
5. The principal reduction is based on the total dollar amount of all disbursements made, excluding any amounts that are reduced, canceled, or returned. To receive this principal reduction, it must be requested from the servicer, the student borrower must have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher and proof of such graduation (e.g. copy of diploma, final transcript or letter on school letterhead) must be provided to the servicer. This reward is available once during the life of the loan, regardless of whether the student receives more than one degree.
6. The 15-year term is only available for loan amounts of $5,000 or more. Payment examples for the Custom Choice Loan (all assume a 45-month deferment period and a six-month grace period before entering repayment, the summer savings rate discount of 0.50% (applicable to applications submitted for a credit decision between 12:00:00am EST on June 1, 2019 and 11:59:59pm EST on August 31, 2019), no rate reduction for auto pay from a SunTrust account and the Partial Interest Repayment option): 7-year term: $10,000 loan disbursed over two transactions with a 7-year repayment term (84 months), and 7.772% APR would result in a monthly principal and interest payment of $189.71. 10-year term: $10,000 loan disbursed over two transactions with a 10-year repayment term (120 months) and 8.235% APR would result in a monthly principal and interest payment of $153.33. 15-year term: $10,000 loan disbursed over two transactions with a 15-year repayment term (180 months) and 8.712% APR would result in a monthly principal and interest payment of $127.35.
7. Any applicant who applies for a loan the month of, the month prior to, or the month after the student’s graduation date, as stated on the application or certified by the school, will only be offered the Immediate Repayment option. The student must be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for the partial interest, fully deferred and interest only repayment options unless the loan is being used for a past due balance and the student is out of school. With the Full Deferment option, payments may be deferred while the student is enrolled at least half-time at an approved school and during the six month grace period after graduation or dropping below half-time status, but the total initial deferment period, including the grace period, may not exceed 66 months from the first disbursement date. The Partial Interest Repayment option (paying $25 per month during in-school deferment) is only available on loans of $5,000 or more. See footnote 6 for payment examples. With the Immediate Repayment option, the first payment of principal and interest will be due approximately 30-60 calendar days after the final disbursement date and the minimum monthly payment will be $50.00. There are no prepayment penalties.
8. Private student loans that can be refinanced with a new SunTrust private student loan are private student loans and private consolidation loans that the student applicant used for, or to refinance loans used for, certain postsecondary expenses, not currently past due. Loans that cannot be refinanced into this loan are (1) private student loans for which the student applicant is not the primary borrower, (2) Federal student loans and (3) student loans made by an educational institution. Loans being refinanced must have been used for “qualified higher education expenses”. Qualified higher education expenses, is defined by the Internal Revenue Code, generally include tuition and fees, room and board, costs for rental or purchase of any equipment, materials, or supplies required of all students in the same course of study, an allowance for books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous personal expenses, and a reasonable allowance for the documented rental or purchase of a personal computer.
9. The minimum loan amount is $1,001 with exceptions based on the student’s state of permanent residence, as follows: Alaska: $5,001, Colorado: $3,001, New Mexico: $2,501, Oklahoma: $5,201, Rhode Island: $5,001, South Carolina: $3,701. The maximum annual loan limit to cover in-school expenses for each academic year is determined by your school’s cost of attendance, minus other financial aid such as federal student loans, scholarships or grants, up to $65,000 for the Custom Choice Loan and Union Federal Private Student Loan . The loan amount must be certified by the school. In any event, the loan amount cannot cause the aggregate maximum student loan debt (which includes all student loans and certain unsecured consumer debt) to exceed $150,000 for the Custom Choice Loan and Union Federal Private Student Loan per applicant (on cosigned applications, separate calculations are performed for the student and cosigner). If you choose the In-School Refinance Option, the maximum amount that you can refinance is subject to the aggregate maximum student loan debt limit ($150,000 or $175,000) minus the amount that you are applying for to cover in-school expenses.
10. A cosigner may be released from the loan upon request to the servicer, provided that the student borrower is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien, has met credit criteria, and met either one of the following payment conditions: (a) the first 36 consecutive monthly principal and interest payments have been made on-time (received by the servicer within 10 calendar days after their due date), or (b) the loan has not had any late payments and has been prepaid prior to the end of the first 36 months of scheduled principal and interest payments in an amount equal to the first 36 months of scheduled principal and interest payments (based on the monthly payment amount in effect when you make the most recent payment). As an example, if you have made 30 months of consecutive on-time payments, and then, based on the monthly payment amount in effect on the due date of your 31st consecutive monthly payment, you pay a lump sum equal to 6 months of payments, you will have satisfied the payment condition. Cosigner release may not be available if a loan is in forbearance.
11. The student must be enrolled at least half-time or more in a degree granting program at an approved school. The student must be the legal age of majority at the time of application, or at least 17 years of age if applying with a cosigner who meets the age of majority requirements in the cosigner’s state of residence. The legal age for entering into contracts is 18 years of age in every state except Alabama (19 years old), Nebraska (19 years old, only for wards of the state), Mississippi and Puerto Rico (21 years old). Private student loans funded by SunTrust are not available to students or cosigners who are permanent residents of Iowa or Wisconsin. The Custom Choice Loan and Graduate Business Loan are available to applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent resident aliens; it is not available to international students. International students can apply for the Union Federal Private Student Loan with an eligible cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien.
12. Initial credit approval is valid for 180 calendar days from the date on which SunTrust obtained a credit report. If the loan is not scheduled for disbursement within this time period, the application will be withdrawn.
13. The 0.25% interest rate reduction will automatically be applied if either one of the following payment conditions has been met: (a) the first 36 consecutive monthly payments are made on-time (received by the servicer within 10 calendar days after their due date), or (b) an amount equal to the first 36 months of scheduled payments (based on the monthly payment amount in effect when you make the most recent payment) has been paid and is not preceded by any late payments. Payments made prior to the start of your repayment term do not count toward the number of required monthly payments. As an example, if you have made 30 months of consecutive on-time payments, and then, based on the monthly payment amount in effect on the due date of your 31st consecutive monthly payment, you pay a lump sum equal to 6 months of payments, the reduction will be automatically applied as of your 31st payment.