Paying for school can be hard while you are attending. It can be even more difficult post-graduation when lenders begin requiring that an individual begin repayment of loans. For that reason, states have set up programs to reward those that are working in particular industries or who meet certain program criteria. The following are two Wyoming student loan forgiveness programs that help students repay all or part of their student loans. For more general information on student loan forgiveness, check out our complete guide here!
Veterinary Medicine Loan Forgiveness
When it comes to serving populations with medical care and receiving loan forgiveness as a result of this commitment, animal healthcare is not ignored. This is especially the case in Wyoming where a specific program for veterinary medicine loan forgiveness has been developed. The Wyoming Veterinary Loan Repayment Program affords individual applicants and program participants the opportunity to receive up to thirty thousand dollars per year for a maximum of three years. Eligible participants must be licensed in the state of Wyoming to practice veterinary medicine. They must, more specifically, have practiced for over five months in the area of food animal medicine.
Other criteria includes:
- Must be a US citizen
- Must have graduated from an accredited AVMA school
- Must have graduated with a degree in veterinary medicine
- Must be able to provide documentation regarding the amount and type of student loans
- Must fill out all necessary application and renewal documentation to be eligible
Healthcare Professionals Loan Forgiveness
So many states see the medical needs of those in underserved areas and socioeconomically depressed regions at a downturn. More and more individuals are not receiving the proper care simply because there are no healthcare professionals in that region of the state. That is why the state of Wyoming instituted a program for healthcare professionals to see their loans forgiven up to thirty thousand dollars in a program known as the Wyoming Healthcare Professionals Loan Repayment Program. This program focuses both on the recruitment of individuals to work in these underserved populations but also encourages those who currently serve the population to consider staying for longer.
Like any state or private loan forgiveness program, the Wyoming Healthcare Professionals Loan Repayment Program does require that individuals meet certain requirements including, but not limited to, the following:
- Must be a classified as a permanent resident of the US or a US citizen, and provide documentation to verify
- Must have a current license to practice medicine in the state of Wyoming or be granted a temporary opportunity to do so
- Must be able to provide documentation of this license as well as provide transcripts that state that graduation from a medical facility occurred
- If a current license is not had, the individual must be able to secure one prior to beginning service in an underserved area
- Must be willing and agree to sign a contract with the Department of Health in the state of Wyoming for the conditional three year period
- Must sign and agree to not discriminate based upon payment method of patients and any other reason, but most specifically socioeconomic status
- Must be willing to provide services to those on Medicare, Medicaid, and in the CHIP program
- Must not have a loan that is defaulted on upon entering the program
- Must provide documentation regarding the nature and the overall amounts of the educational loans within said individuals name
- Must not be a part of any other loan forgiveness program as deemed inappropriate or conflictual by the state of Wyoming
If an individual applies and is given relief under this repayment program, they must retain eligibility requirements throughout. If not, they will sign a document stating that they are to repay the forgiven amounts.