Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
When it comes to paying back student loans, there are several state run programs that can help to alleviate or completely eliminate the student loan debt of an individual. Here are some of the different Washington student loan forgiveness programs that you may be eligible to utilize in pursuit of your debt relief.
Please note, while these are current plans for student forgiveness, the opportunities can change from year to year so it is best to speak with your individuals state financial representatives for the most up to date
The Health Professional Loan Repayment Program
For health professionals, the state of Washington has a specific program to help alleviate school debt. The goal of this program is to provide resources in the state of Washington in the area of health care. This is because of the pure shortage of healthcare agencies, doctors, and primary care health professionals in the region. This loan forgiveness program provides financial aid in two ways. Firstly, it can help to provide scholarships. Secondly, and of most importance to this discussion, it can help to provide loan repayment for those health professionals that earn their degree and stay within the state to work. In order to be eligible, certain requirements must be met for loan repayment.
They include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Primary car physician must have begun seeing patients by July 1, 2015.
- Provide any paperwork requested in relation to the amount of student debt
- All student debt submitted must not have a cosigner or be taken out in any other name
- Must meet all eligible site employment which will be included on the qualifying list
- Must be a primary and not specialized provider of care
- Be a US citizen
- Meet all other state residency and financial requirements
- Must sign contract for at least two years of employment, or penalty includes repayment
For those that qualify, there can be up to thirty-five thousand in financial assistance available, including repayment of a large portion of student loan debt.
Author: Jeff Gitlen