Home to the tobacco industry, birthplace of several US Presidents, and one of the original colonies, Virginia is a state with a tremendous history. It is also home to some Virginia student loan forgiveness opportunities as well. These loan forgiveness and repayment programs are outlined below and may be something that can help you to earn money to repay your student loan debt. For more general information on student loan forgiveness, check out our complete guide.
Law Loan Forgiveness Program
The Virginia Loan Forgiveness offers individuals who graduated from accredited law programs after 2013 the opportunity to earn monies toward their loan payments. Those that are eligible must be in public service law fields and earning less than seventy-five thousand dollars. Those that earn under fifty-five thousand are eligible for full loan reimbursement, while those between seventy five and fifty-five thousand annually earn a loan percentage of repayment based on their annual income. For more information or to apply, click this link.
Health Professionals Loan Forgiveness Opportunity
The Virginia Department of Health minority services sector offer a loan forgiveness program for those in the medical and dental fields. Eligible professionals must come from the behavioral, dental, pharmaceutical, and medical health fields and be serving in an HPSA region as designated by the state of Virginia. They must be willing to work in this are for a minimum of twenty-four months and can earn up to just less than one-hundred fifty thousand dollars.
Other eligibility criteria includes:
- Being a US citizen OR
- Being a US national
- Have medical board certification and eligibility without restriction
- Have an unrestricted license to practice within the state
- Have student loans and provide proof of such loans
- Must not have any other contracts that may conflict with service
- Must not have any federal liens and be current on all child support payments
- If interested, all other information can be found here
Attorney Loan Repayment Program
For those in the legal field, the LSC Herbert S. Garten Loan Repayment Assistance Program can offer help toward paying educational notes. This loan assistance program offers a renewable nearly six-thousand degree loan repayment opportunity for up to three years.
The LSC LRAP as it is often referred requires that individuals:
- Complete an application
- Must be a PA
- Must have under sixty months experience with programs funded by the LSC
- Must have at least seventy-five thousand dollars in debt from law school
- Must not have an income over sixty-three thousand dollars
- Must not have a net worth over thirty-five thousand dollars
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Your Guide to Financial Freedom
Money tips, advice, and news once a week
Join the LendEDU newsletter!Thanks for submitting!Please Enter a valid email
Student Loan Guides
Student Loan Reviews