U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Credit Card Review
The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature credit card is a reasonable choice for a cash back credit card. You’ll get access to Visa Signature benefits and can earn cash back on purchases in two categories of your choice per quarter.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Credit Card
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Credit Card
What we like:
Flexibility to choose own categories for cash back
|Intro Offer||$150 bonus after $500 in eligible net purchases after first 90 days of account opening|
|Rewards Rates||5% cash back on first $2,000 in combined eligible net purchases each quarter on chosen categories|
2% cash back on one everyday category, including gas or groceries
1% cash back on all other net purchases
|Regular APR||16.24% – 25.74%|
- Excellent rewards rate
- Choice of bonus rewards categories
- Higher spending limit in 5% cash back categories than other cards
- Low spending requirements for the signup bonus
- 0% balance transfer APR for 12 months
- No minimum redemption when redeeming cash rewards as a statement credit or deposit in your U.S. Bank account (minimum $20 redemption for U.S. Bank gift card)
- Relatively low signup bonus
- No intro APR for purchases
- 3% foreign transaction fee
- Balance transfer fee equal to the greater of 3% or $5
- Qualifying for this card is difficult
- Potentially high interest rate
Recommended Credit Score
- Excellent credit
Is the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card a Good Cash Back Credit Card?
The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card is a great rewards credit card for people looking for flexible cash back rewards — and who are willing to be strategic about their spending to maximize those rewards.
In this review:
- U.S. Bank Cash Plus Benefits
- Downsides of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
- How it Compares to Similar Cards
U.S. Bank Cash Plus Benefits
The biggest benefit of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature is its generous and flexible rewards program, but there are other perks you should consider when evaluating the card’s overall appeal.
New cardholders can earn a $150 signup bonus after using the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature card to make at least $500 in eligible purchases with 90 days of opening their account. You need to apply online to be eligible to earn this bonus offer.
>> Read More: Compare the best sign-up bonus offers
Cash Back Rewards
The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature card offers a unique rewards program with the opportunity to earn bonus cash back in lots of different ways.
- 5% cash back on the first $2,000 in combined eligible net purchases each quarter in two categories of your choosing
- 2% cash back on one everyday category of your choosing (e.g. gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants)
- 1% cash back on all other net purchases
Cardholders have the option of getting their cash back in the form of a statement credit or deposit into a U.S. Bank account with no minimum redemption.
How do U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card Categories Work?
Cardholders can choose two different categories for their bonus 5% cash back. Categories change quarterly but may include fast food; cell phone providers; home utilities; gym memberships; electronics stores; furniture stores; sporting goods stores; clothing stores; and department stores. Two-percent cash back categories include grocery stores, gas stations, and restaurants.
It’s important to note that you MUST sign in to your account and choose your Cash+ categories every single quarter. If you don’t, eligible purchases will only earn the standard 1% cash back.
Visa Signature Benefits
Because the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa is a Visa Signature card, accountholders also enjoy certain perks available through the Visa Signature program. Some of these include:
- Special guest status at more than 900 Visa Signature luxury hotels across the globe
- Concierge service to assist with travel planning
- Access to special events and experiences exclusive to cardmembers
It’s important to check the terms and conditions before signing up, as not all Visa Signature cards entitle you to all perks offered within the Signature Rewards program.
Downsides of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
There are some disadvantages associated with the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card you should know before applying. Some downsides include:
- A relatively low signup bonus. Although you can qualify easily for the $150 bonus, there are competitor cards with no annual fees that offer higher rewards for signing up.
- No 0% introductory APR on purchases. This means you’ll pay a lot in interest if you carry a balance, even as a new cardmember.
- Unimpressive balance transfer offer. The 0% introductory APR period of just 12 months is shorter than many other cards. Plus, you’ll pay a 3% fee per balance transfer, while some competitor cards charge no fee for transferred balances during the intro period.
- Excellent credit is required. Qualifying for the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa can be difficult.
- Foreign transaction fees. Although it’s a good card to use for travel expenses thanks to Visa Signature travel benefits, foreign transaction fees mean you should probably leave the card at home when traveling abroad.
How it Compares to Similar Cards
Although the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa is a solid everyday card, its complex rewards structure may make other cards a better choice if you prefer to keep things simple when it comes to earning rewards.
U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card vs. Discover it Cash Back
The Discover it cash back card is a worthy competitor to the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature card because it, too, offers 5% cash back in rotating purchase categories. But unlike the U.S. Bank card, you don’t get to pick your categories with the Discover it. Furthermore, the Discover it lacks the 2% cash back rewards on everyday spending the Cash+ Visa offers.
The Discover it card does have something the Cash+ rewards card doesn’t: It will match all cash back rewards earned at the end of your first year. This could allow you to earn way more cash back in your first year as a cardholder, even though Discover’s standard rewards program isn’t as generous.
The U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Credit Card offers one of the best cash back rewards programs of any card, especially because you can choose your bonus categories each quarter.
However, competitor cards may provide more generous bonus offers for new cardmembers. If you’d prefer to not have to manually choose rewards categories every quarter, you might want to opt for a card with a simpler rewards structure so you can earn cash back with less hassle.
Check out LendEDU’s Best Cash Back Credit Cards page to compare more credit cards.3.85 U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Credit Card
Author: Christy Rakoczy
Best Credit Cards by Type
Credit Cards by Brand