Texas is a populace and unique state in the union. It is beautifully rich in the culture of America and the rustic west. With said beautiful landscape and people, there are also many schools and educational institutes in the region as well and economically buzzing arenas that draw outsiders into the state. For those that live, work, and play in this southern state, there are other incentives to becoming more active in the Texan community: Texas student loan forgiveness programs. Texas has several different state sponsored and encouraged programs that help to alleviate educational debt including those listed and explored below. For more general information on student loan forgiveness, check out our guide.
Speech and Language Loan Repayment
In the state of Texas, there is a program known as the Loan Repayment Program for Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists. This is a long name given to a program that helps those in the field earn money toward their educational debt. The goal of this program is to reward those who are providing these services in areas of need and retain them within these underserved areas.
The criteria for this loan help includes:
- Being licensed as a speech language pathologist or audiologist within the state of Texas
- Having a license that is not restricted in any way.
- Must be employed at a doctoral level as a faculty member of a qualifying college
- Must hold all necessary clinical certificates
- Must work in or with public schools in the state and be able to provide proof of this involvement
- Must have educational loans
- Must have provided supervision to students with issues in speech or hearing
- Must apply and be accepted into the program, meeting all requirements found through this link
Doctoral Faculty Loan Repayment Program
If you are a full-time member of a faculty that focuses on doctoral studies and are located along the border of Mexico, you are eligible for loan repayment. This repayment is up to fifty thousand dollars, with five-thousand dollars being distributed annually for ten years.
In order to be eligible, you must:
- Have earned your degree after September of 1994
- Be a full-time faculty member at an educational institute in the doctoral department
- Be a faculty at a Border county
- Be actively teaching at this institute
You must also meet all other requirements which can be found here.
Texas Educators’ Loan Repayment Opportunity
For those that need help with student loans and are in the educational field, the Teach for Texas Loan Repayment Assistance Program—also known as TFTLRAP—offers students up to $2500 in student loan relief. This is a program geared recruiting and retaining teachers in those areas of the state that are underserved educationally. For more information on this program and all of the eligibility requirements, click here.
Loan Repayment for Nurses
Those that are in the nursing field in Texas may receive assistance as well with the Nursing Loan Repayment Assistance Program. This program provides up to $7,000 on an annual basis to those that are teaching in the nursing field.
The requirements for this lucrative opportunity include:
- Having a master’s level or doctoral degree in the field of nursing
- Have a qualifying license that is not in any way restricted within the state
- Must hold a current position at an academic institution of higher learning
- The major goal of this program, which was developed by the Texas State Legislature, was to ensure that both current nursing teachers and those nurses of the future would be ultimately rewarded with the best possible education. For all of the program details, click here.
Physician Education Repayment Program
For those that are educators of the next generation of physicians, there is loan help available. The loan repayment program known as the Physician Education Loan Repayment Program offers individuals up to nearly two-hundred thousand dollars over forty-eight months if they meet all of the qualifications.
These qualifications include:
- Must be eligible to take all certification and board exams OR already be accredited and certified to practice in the state of Texas via the Texas Medical Board
- Must have no restrictions on said licenses
- Must accept Medicaid as a form of payment and must also ensure that they provide direct care to said patients
- Must agree to all other terms of contract and service found here.
Public Health Repayment Program
The St. David’s Foundation offers students and employees in the state of Texas different opportunities for financial help. Among their programs is the St. David’s Foundation Public Health Corps Loan Repayment Program. This financial gift awards up to thirty-thousand dollars towards loans to those that are qualified to operate in the primary care and behavioral health fields.
Those that are eligible must work in one of the five designated Texas counties that participate in the program, as well as meet the following:
- Must be a US citizen or also be a permanent and legal resident
- Must work in an approved field and able to practice
- Must provide forty-eight months of care in said location
- Must have a current and uninhibited license in the state
- Must be approved by all necessary Medical Boards
- Dentist, Nurses’ Assistants, and Physicians’ Assistants are also eligible and must meet all qualifying requirements
- All other information can be found by clicking here.
Texas Loan Repayment Program
For those that are interested, Texas has another program as well for debt relief. This program, known as the Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program (SLRAP) is available through funds provided by two legal foundations within the state. The goal of this program is to help and encourage those in the legal field to work with the underserved populations in providing them legal aid.
In order to be eligible for this program of up to nearly five-thousand dollars annually, the minimum requirements are:
- Must work full time
- Must work in the Texas legal aid program
- Must work in a program that is funded through TAJF, nonprofit agencies, or through not for profit funding
- Must meet all other requirements found here
Loan Repayment Opportunity for Attorneys
The Educational Loan Repayment Program for Attorneys Employed by the Office of the Attorney General rewards those who are eligible with nearly twenty-thousand dollars in loan assistance. As with so many state level loan repayment opportunities, the end goal of this program is to retain, incentivize, and ultimately, recruit new employees at the Attorney General’s Office.
Justice Loan Repayment Opportunity
The state of Texas offers another state level sponsored loan forgiveness and repayment opportunity for those in the legal field as well. This program is known by the name Texas Student Loan Repayment Assistance Program and offers individuals the chance for a varied amount of monies if they meet all eligibility requirements. Also known as Texas SLRAP, this program is financially boosted by the State Bar of Texas as well as the TAJF and has a goal of rewarding those who wish to represent and serve legally those who require legal aid.
Those that are looking to apply should visit here, but also understand the basic requirements for approval which includes:
- Must work full-time for an approved program
- Programs include those that receive TAJF funding, funds via the Legal Services Corporation, or a Texas-based not for profit agency that is devoted to helping the low income within the state.
>> Read More: State student loan forgiveness programs