ReliaShield Identity Theft Protection Review
ReliaShield offers three different identity theft protection programs to individuals and families, all of which are backed by 24/7 customer and recovery services.
Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
What we like:
Access to an identity restoration team
|Plans offered||Essential, Prime, and Elite|
|Monthly cost (individuals)||$7.99 – $21.99|
|Stolen funds reimbursement||$1 million|
|Features||Identity protection services, recovery and restoration services, wallet protection services, credit monitoring, bank account alerts|
If you’re concerned about identity theft—and it’s always a risk in today’s connected world—ReliaShield may be the answer. The company offers a variety of plans that all address the hazards to which your personal information is subjected.
What sets ReliaShield apart is the level of service it offers to customers. Any hour of the day, any day of the week, planholders can connect with the customer service and identity recovery teams. Additionally, the company’s identity restoration team has a 100% success rate.
Keep reading to find out if ReliaShield is the right solution for you.
In this review:
ReliaShield identity theft protection plans
|Monthly fee (individual)||$7.99||$14.99||$21.99|
|Monthly fee (family)||$14.99||$24.99||$34.99|
|Stolen funds reimbursement||$1 million||$1 million||$1 million|
|Social security monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Change of address monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Court records monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Alerts and notifications||Yes; two||Yes; two||Yes; four|
|Customer & recovery services||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Credit score tracker||No||No||Yes|
ReliaShield offers three different product tiers with varying levels of protection. Each product is available for individuals or families (defined as two adults in the household, with children covered for free). ReliaShield charges a monthly fee for its products, but if you pay annually you save money.
Though ReliaShield Essential is the company’s least-expensive offering, it still provides comprehensive services. These include identity theft protection, wallet protection, customer, recovery, and restoration services. ReliaShield Prime and ReliaShield Elite offer additional monitoring and alerts, such as those having to do with credit score and bank account activity.
The restoration services available to all tiers are particularly valuable, given ReliaShield’s 100% success rate for identity restoration.
Pros and cons of ReliaShield
To help you decide if ReliaShield is the best identity theft protection product for you, we’ve compiled a list of the company’s pros and cons.
- ReliaShield’s 100% recovery success rate assures customers they’re protected with any plan.
- All ReliaShield product tiers offer $1 million of theft insurance.
- With a ReliaShield family plan, children are covered at no additional cost.
- Money stolen from 401(k) and investment accounts are covered up to $1 million.
- Only two adults over 18 are covered by the family plans.
- Membership automatically renews (either on a monthly or annual basis) until you cancel.
How to sign up for ReliaShield
Signing up for a plan with ReliaShield can be done quickly and easily online. Here are the steps to follow:
- Select a plan and payment method. ReliaShield has three different plans, each of which is available for individuals and families. Determine which is best for you, whether you’ll need to cover your family, and if you want to be billed monthly or annually.
- Provide the necessary personal information. ReliaShield will ask for your name, phone number, date of birth, and home address, among other pieces of information.
- Provide payment information. Finally, ReliaShield will ask for billing information. Provide the data for the account or card with which you’ll be paying.
Your subscription begins immediately after enrollment.
Alternatives to ReliaShield
If ReliaShield isn’t the right choice for your needs, here are some other identity theft protection companies that are worth considering:
- Identity Guard integrates IBM’s Watson AI into its product offerings in order to provide comprehensive security and protection. Each plan holder has access to a dedicated case manager for additional support.
- LifeLock works in tandem with Norton Security to protect users from computer threats such as ransomware, viruses, and spyware. The company’s identity theft insurance includes compensation for theft, personal expenses, and legal fees.
- IdentityIQ offers similar services to its competitors, but with an emphasis on credit monitoring. The company offers a basic security package that focuses primarily on credit. Higher-tier plans offer increased coverage and identity protection.