Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
Ohio is home to the most educational institutions of higher learning per capita, college football, and many major cities and rural communities both. It also offers students the chance to earn money back toward their student loans. That’s right. There are two Ohio student loan forgiveness programs that may help you to earn the money you need to help pay down your loans. For more general information, check out our guide to student loan forgiveness!
Public Defenders and State Prosecutors Loan Forgiveness
The John R. Justice Student Loan Repayment Program offers those who work as a public defender or a state prosecutor a chance to earn money back to pay off their student loans. Those who wish to apply and are approved for this opportunity can earn just over one-thousand dollars towards their loans, if all eligibility requirements are met.
Those requirements include:
- Remaining employed as a state level or federal public defender for three years OR
- Remaining employed as a state prosecutor for at least thirty-six months OR
- Providing education and training, as well as supervision, of those who are
- Must be employed full-time
- Must be licensed by and in good standing with all necessary bar associations
- Must maintain all necessary licenses to practice law
- Must not be in default on any student loans
- Must provide proof of these student loans
All other information on this program in the state of Ohio can be found here.
Ohio Dentist Program
For dentists practicing in the state of Ohio, there is a loan repayment program for which they may be eligible. Known as the Ohio Dental Loan Repayment Program, those who work and agree to make a commitment to serve in areas where dental care is lacking may be eligible.
>> Read More: Student loan forgiveness by state
Author: Jeff Gitlen, CEPF®