North Carolina is a perfect location for those that enjoy beaches, mountainous regions, and gorgeous landscapes. Home of numerous institutions of higher learning, including the ACC schools located along Tobacco Row, North Carolina is a region that recruits vacationers and academicians alike. For those that live and work in the region, there is another reason to set up home: North Carolina student loan forgiveness opportunities. The following explains more.
For more general information, check out our guide to student loan forgiveness!
LEAF Loan Repayment Program
The state of North Carolina offers a program for loan repayment for those that work in the legal profession. Specifically, attorneys that are eligible for this loan forgiveness must work in the legal profession in the areas of public interest.
In order to be eligible, the attorney must:
- Have graduated from an American Bar Association approved and accredited law school
- Have earned their JD Degree from said school in the last ten years
- Have a license that is in good standing in the state of North Carolina
- Not have an annual income that exceeds fifty thousand dollars for a single individual
- Not have an annual income that exceeds ninety thousand dollars for a couple
- Must meet all other eligibility requirements
- Must provide proof of at least ten-thousand dollars of student debt from law related education
- Must have paid the loan for at least one year
- Must prove that a monthly loan payment is required
- Must meet all eligibility requirements found here
North Carolina Mental Health Professionals Assistance
As with many other states, there is a reward potential in the form of loan repayment for those that work in the primary and psychiatric care field in North Carolina. The North Carolina State Loan Repayment Program for Mental Health Professionals is a loan repayment opportunity for those that work in qualifying locations. Specifically, individuals must be a part of the Federal Community health center network of employees, in a qualifying rural setting, or one of the County Health Departments in the state. Those that qualify can receive up to thirty-thousand dollars in aid.
The full eligibility requirements can come be found here, which includes the following criteria:
- Must provide proof of US citizenship or legal residency
- Must have a North Carolina medical license in good standing
- Must work at one of the aforementioned employment locales
- Must also be working in an HPSA site that is designated such by the federal government
- Must provide proof of student loan debt
Educational Loan Repayment for Service Given
Another variable rate program for those in the state of North Carolina is what is known as the Forgivable Education Loans for Service. This loan was established in 2011 and is meant to help those that are pursuing professionsthat are under populated in the state.
This loan repayment program provides assistance to those that meet the eligibility requirements, including the following:
- Must be a resident of North Carolina and able to prove such residency
- Must be a current student that pays some type of loan or tuition payment
- Must be registered with the Selective Service
- Must carry a minimum GPA that is determined by the state
- Must not be in default on any loan or grant repayment program
- Must verify satisfactory performance in pursuit of education
- Upon graduation, must be willing to work in a North Carolina HPSA zone
- Must meet the other criteria of the loan program found here
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Join the LendEDU Newsletter
News, insights, & tips once a weekThanks for submittingPlease Enter a valid email
Student Loan Guides
Student Loan Reviews