Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
Kansas is known for its beautifully majestic wheat fields, flat landscape, and its location in the beautiful Midwestern region of the country. It is a state that is historically linked and it
One of the ways in which this is being accomplished is through Kansas student loan forgiveness programs. The following are a few of the state-based loan forgiveness programs that you or someone you know may be interested in using to help defray the financial burden of repaying collegiate and educational debt.
Here at LendEDU we have put together a comprehensive guide to student loan forgiveness, if you would like to learn more.
Rural Medical Loan Forgiveness Program
Medicine is a popular area for professionals to receive loan forgiveness, if they are focusing on a particular area that is lacking in specialists or if they are willing to help those that are economically disadvantaged. Kansas offers loan forgiveness programs in this area. The Kansas Bridging Plan is sponsored by the University of Kansas Medical Center and the Rural Health Education and Services sector. It provides up to nearly thirty-thousand dollars in loan forgiveness for those that are practicing or are in residency in internal medicine, pediatrics, or family practice. To receive the loan forgiveness award, students must be willing to commit to work in an underserved, rural locale for at least three years. Certain restrictions on location do apply, so it is best to see all of the eligibility requirements here.
Those applying must also meet all of the other criteria as well, including but not limited to:
- Must work in approved location as determined by the Kansas State Medical board
- The Kansas State Board of Healing Arts must also approve as well
- Applicants must meet all state licensure requirements and meet all practice standards in the state
They must make a written commitment to serve in a rural community, but this excludes Sedgwick, Shawnee, and other regions designated as ineligible.
Rural Residency Reward
Another rural reward for those living in Kansas is a loan forgiveness and repayment program focused on attracting new rural residents. Known as the Rural Opportunity Zones Student Loan Repayment Program, individuals can receive over ten-thousand dollars if they live in one of the nearly eighty counties in the state that are rural in nature and deemed so by the state government. This loan amount can come in the traditional loan reimbursement or forgiveness amount or it can also be taken in the form of a tax resident. Only new and full-time residents qualify for this loan repayment award.
Other requirements include:
- Having at least an associate’s degree
- Must provide proof of an outstanding student loan that is in good standing
- Must have established said residency in a rural county by the application date
- For more information on program eligibility requirements and how to apply, visit the link here.
Kansas Health Care Providers Loan Forgiveness
For those that are interested in the area of healthcare, Kansas has a state and federally backed program that may be of interest to you. The Kansas State Loan Repayment Program offers individuals the chance to receive over twenty-thousand dollars in loan forgiveness. Those that wish to apply must be a health care provider and meet all other eligibility standards.
These requirements include:
- Being a citizen of the United States
- No other service contracts can be in place when applying
- No felonious convictions, federal liens, missed child support payments, or loans in default
- Must have a state licensure within good standing
- Must provide proof of all financial educational debt
- Must work in a healthcare professional shortage area as designated by state and federal officials and sign contracting committing to this, in agreement with all terms.
The full program details and application requirements can be found by clicking this link.
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Student Loan Guides
Student Loan Reviews