Every state is different when it comes to regionally specific loan forgiveness programs. The state of Idaho is one such state that offers little opportunities in the way of state-run programs for this type of financial relief. The following is the one Idaho student loan forgiveness program. Students interested should look at federal student loan forgiveness programs for even more options. Here at LendEDU we have put together a comprehensive guide to student loan forgiveness.
State Loan Repayment
Like so many states, Idaho recognizes the shortage of qualified professionals in the healthcare industry that are working within the regional boundaries of their state. That is why they instituted the Idaho State Loan Repayment Program. Also known as SLRP, this loan repayment opportunity is provided to those that are working in a state or private organization within the healthcare industry that focuses on serving the needs of an underserved population. To be eligible, they must be working in an area that has the federal level designation of an area of a shortage area.
Other eligibility requirements include:
- Must work to provide individuals at or below the poverty line the proper health care
- Must provide those in this socioeconomically depressed group a discounted price on services
- Must accept federal program recipients in the areas of Medicaid, CHIP, and Medicare
- Must work within the nonprofit sector or another public entity that meets the aforementioned health professional shortage criteria
- Must make the commitment to work in this area for a minimum of twenty-four months
- Must be willing to accept a site visitation from a member of the Bureau of Rural Health and Primary Care, at any time during the aforementioned two year period.
The amount of this loan varies from year to year. For the latest information on this program or to see if you can apply, visit this link for all of the details and requirements.
>> Read More: Student loan forgiveness programs by state