The state of Hawaii has a reputation of beauty and history that makes it among the most popular of vacation and honeymoon students for residents of the United States. This beautiful chain of eight islands entices people to enjoy the Polynesian way of life with more than just cultural openness and gorgeous beaches. It does so through a Hawaii student loan forgiveness program as well. The following explains more about this singular program and how it can help to decrease the educational burdens of student debt.
Health Professional Shortage Loan Repayment
Just as with many states in the United States, Hawaii has a loan forgiveness program that focuses on providing health care professionals to areas that are underserved. The Hawaii State Loan Repayment Program, also known as HSLRP, was founded in 2010 as part of the Affordable Healthcare Act.
The goal of this program is to reward those that want to work in the state as a health care professional but are also willing to work a committed amount of time in a designated health professional shortage area. The amount varies, but the repayment amount can be quite lucrative. Eligibility requirements, aside from the aforementioned, include:
- Being a US citizen
- Be free from external or other program requirements
- Must have a license to practice medicine or healthcare in the state of Hawaii with no restrictions or limitations
- Must have student loan debt and provide proof of such debt
- Must have no federal judgements against said student debt
- Must have no felonies and be current on all payments regarding child support
- Must commit to at least two years of employment in the aforementioned underserved area
All the program details can be found here.
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Join the LendEDU Newsletter
News, insights, & tips once a weekThanks for submittingPlease Enter a valid email
Student Loan Guides
Student Loan Reviews