Many or all of the companies featured provide compensation to LendEDU. These commissions are how we maintain our free service for consumers. Compensation, along with hours of in-depth editorial research, determines where & how companies appear on our site.
Some offers mentioned on this page may be outdated. To confirm offers and credit card details, check the issuer’s website.
- Ability to earn a large amount of Avios in the first year
- Earn Travel Together ticket when you spend $30,000 each year
- No foreign transaction fees
- Tap to pay
- Travel and purchase coverage
- Automatic enrollment in the Executive Club for new cardholders
- High annual fee
- Steep spending requirements of $30,000 per year to maximize initial bonus and Travel Together tickets
- Limited ways to use points (redeem with British Airways and its airline partners, including Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM, LEVEL, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, and S7 Airlines)
Recommended Credit Score
- Good to excellent credit
British Airways Visa Signature Credit Card Review: Who Is It Good For?
The British Airways Visa Signature credit card is aimed at people who travel regularly on British Airways and can spend at least $30,000 on their card each year. On the other hand, the rewards aren’t as easy to earn or use as some other travel cards.
In this review:
- British Airways Visa Signature Credit Card Benefits
- British Airways Visa Signature Card Downsides
- British Airways Credit Card Login and Phone Number
- How it Compares to Similar Cards
British Airways Visa Signature Credit Card Benefits
The British Airways Visa Signature card offers a number of attractive benefits, including generous bonus rewards in your first year and a free companion ticket when you meet spending requirements. However, the spending threshold is likely out of reach for most cardholders who are then unable to take full advantage of the perks.
Here’s a rundown of all the card’s benefits:
The rewards you earn with the British Airways Visa Signature card are called Avios. Excluding the signup bonus, cardholders get three Avios for every $1 they spend on flights with British Airways, Iberia, and Aer Lingus; you also receive one point for every $1 spent on all other purchases. Points can be redeemed for travel with British Airways and its partner airlines, including Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Aer Lingus, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, LATAM, LEVEL, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas, Qatar Airways, Royal Jordanian, and S7 Airlines.
Despite the generous rewards, some cardholders have complained about expensive surcharges (e.g. taxes and carrier charges) on rewards flights. Also, there are limited U.S. domestic flights from which you can choose.
What’s the Initial British Airways Credit Card Offer?
The signup bonus offered with the British Airways credit card is unique. Rather than giving you a certain number of bonus points if you spend a few thousand dollars within the first few months, you can earn four Avios per $1 spent on all purchases in your first year, up to $30,000. That’s a maximum of 120,000 Avios, far more than most other travel cards.
However, in order to take full advantage of this bonus offer, you have to spend a considerable amount of money. Given that most cardholders spend less than $1,000 on their cards each month, according to Business Insider, it will be difficult for most consumers to earn the maximum 120,000 Avios.
The British Airways Visa Signature card offers a number of great travel perks, including:
- Travel Together tickets. For every year you make $30,000 in purchases, you’ll earn a Travel Together ticket that’s good for two years. These are companion fares that can be redeemed for a free round-trip ticket for a friend or family member. Although taxes, fees, and carrier charges apply, the tickets are good for even first-class travel.
- Executive Club membership. New cardholders are automatically enrolled in British Airways’ Executive Club, which lets you unlock benefits like pooling your points with household members, priority check-in and boarding, lounge access, and Fast Track security.
- Baggage delay insurance. This benefit qualifies cardholders for reimbursement for essential purchases (e.g. toiletries and clothing) for baggage delays, up to $100/day for three days.
- Lost luggage reimbursement. If you or an immediate family member’s checked or carry-on bags are damaged or lost, you’re covered up to $3,000 per passenger.
- Auto rental collision damage waiver. Save money by declining the rental company’s insurance and charging the entire rental cost to your British Airways Visa. Coverage applies to theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.
Shopping perks available with the British Airways Visa Signature card include:
- Purchase protection. This benefit covers new purchases paid for with your card for 120 days against damage or theft, up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.
- Extended warranty. Extend the time period of the original manufacturer’s warranty by an additional year, providing the warranty is three years or less.
British Airways Visa Signature Card Downsides
Although the British Airways Visa card has some great benefits, it’s not a particularly good fit for those who don’t frequently travel on British Airways or its airline partners. There are also limited domestic flight options, so if you mostly travel within the United States this might not be the card for you.
Unlike some other cards, you don’t automatically get a companion fare for signing up — you have to spend $30,000 per year to qualify for a Travel Together ticket as well as to take full advantage of the signup bonus.
Because the card charges an annual fee of $95, you’ll want to be certain you’ll receive enough benefits to outweigh the fee. The value of each Avios point varies based on where you fly, what cabin, and other factors. You should also take into account the airline’s reportedly high surcharges when deciding whether the British Airways Visa is a good card for you.
British Airways Credit Card Login and Phone Number
If you have a British Airways Signature Credit Card, you can log in via the Chase website. You can also reach Chase customer services at 1-800-577-0633 and British Airways customer service at 1-800-247-9297 with any questions.
How it Compares to Similar Cards
Although the card offers the potential for you to earn good rewards, harder-to-reach spending minimums and limited redemption options mean you’re likely better off applying for a card with fewer strings attached.
Although the British Airways Visa Signature card offers an eye-catching signup bonus, it requires you to spend a significant amount of money to qualify. For those looking to spend, this card rewards just that, but the more modest consumer may want to look elsewhere for an easier travel aid.4.56 British Airways Visa Signature Credit Card
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Best Credit Cards by Type
Credit Cards by Brand