American Express Blue Cash Everyday Review
The Blue Cash Everyday from American Express is an above-average cash back card that offers impressive rewards rates and no annual fee. However, it may not be right for everyone due to its foreign transaction fees and stringent application requirements.
Our company receives compensation from partners seen on our website. Here's how we make money. Our research, news, ratings, and assessments are scrutinized using strict editorial integrity. Our editorial staff does not receive direction from advertisers on our website.
Blue Cash Everyday Card
Blue Cash Everyday Card
What we like:
The Blue Cash EveryDay Card has high rewards rates for no annual fee
|Sign-Up Offer||Earn $150 after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Blue Cash Card within three months of account opening|
|Rewards Rate||3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year)|
2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and certain department stores
1% cash back on all other purchases
|Regular APR||0% intro APR for the first 15 months|
Regular APR of 15.24% – 26.24% (variable)
- The sign-up bonus is easy to achieve compared to some other credit card offers.
- There’s no annual fee.
The rewards program for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday is above average for a card with no annual fee.
- Because the Blue Cash Everyday is an American Express offer, members can expect benefits like car rental insurance, roadside assistance, travel accident insurance, and purchase protection.
- The introductory interest rate offer lasts longer than average.
- The 3% cash rewards are limited to $6,000 in purchases per year.
- The card does charge a 2.7% foreign transaction fee.
- Balance transfers will incur a 3% fee.
Recommended Credit Score
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Review
The Blue Cash Everyday Card is a solid rewards credit card for general spending, especially since there’s no annual fee. That said, those looking for a card that will help pay down debt or that thrives on being used for vacations may want to look elsewhere for cards tailored to those needs.
In this review:
- Benefits of the American Express Blue Cash Everyday
- Downsides of the Amex Blue Cash Everyday
- Blue Cash Everyday Approval Odds
- How It Compares to Similar Cards
Benefits of the American Express Blue Cash Everyday
The Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card offers an easily achievable sign-up bonus and cash back rewards that cover many of the most common spending categories. Further perks like travel insurance make this American Express card widely useful.
The Blue Cash Everyday Card’s sign-up bonus is relatively easy to achieve. Simply charge $1,000 or more to the card in the first three months after account opening to receive $150 applied as a statement credit. Note that this time frame begins upon account opening, not upon receiving the card in the mail.
Cash Back Rewards
One of the Amex Blue Cash card’s most appealing features is its rewards categories; these offer cash back of 3%, 2%, or 1% depending on the spending category. Cardholders can earn 3% back at supermarkets, but this high rate only applies to the first $6,000 in supermarket spending for the year. After that, supermarket spending earns the standard 1% rate.
Those with a long commute will also be happy to see the 2% cash back rate for gas stations (and select U.S. department stores). Even if a purchase is not covered under these categories, cardholders will always earn at least 1% cash back, making this card a powerful option for consistent savings.
Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars, which can be redeemed for a statement credit.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance: If you pay for a car rental with your card, you may be covered in the event of car damage or theft.
- Roadside assistance: Request towing, help changing a flat tire, or a jump start with the Amex hotline.
- Global assist hotline: American Express will offer medical, legal, financial, or emergency assistance services if you travel a long distance and pay with your card.
- Baggage insurance: Baggage insurance will cover eligible luggage that is lost, stolen, or damaged.
Shopping Benefits and Other Perks
- Extended warranty: Add up to an additional two years to a warranty for a product purchased using the Amex Blue Cash Everyday.
- Mobile phone protection: American Express offers coverage of eligible accidental damage or theft of your phone if you pay the monthly bill with your Amex.
- Return protection: Amex will cover you if a merchant won’t refund an eligible item.
Downsides of the Amex Blue Cash Everyday
Although the Blue Cash Everyday Card offers a comprehensive array of cash back options, it does have some disadvantages. The 3% cash rewards are limited to $6,000 in purchases per year, which can curtail savings for those who would primarily use the card for groceries. Still, further purchases would earn 1% cash back.
Foreign Transaction Fee
For those who travel frequently, the Blue Cash Card’s 2.7% foreign transaction fee may be a deal-breaker. While the fee is relatively low, many other cards offer travel and cash back rewards with no foreign transaction fees. Those who take trips frequently and like to use their credit card abroad may find that the Blue Cash Everyday is not right for them.
Balance Transfer Fee
Although the card comes with a low intro APR offer, those interested in using it for balance transfers will have to pay a 3% balance transfer fee. This puts this Amex card at a disadvantage against the best balance transfer credit cards.
>> Read More: How to Do a Balance Transfer With American Express
Blue Cash Everyday Approval Odds
Generally, we estimate you’ll need Good to Excellent credit to be approved for this card, so if your score is less than 690, you should try to pay down any outstanding debts or otherwise improve your credit score before applying.
How It Compares to Similar Cards
In general, this card offers good rewards in common spending categories for no fee. However, depending on where you spend, you might find better offers; those who spend primarily in travel and dining out, for example, may not be maximizing their potential rewards and savings using this card.
Blue Cash Everyday vs. Preferred
The Blue Cash Preferred card offers higher bonuses and rewards rates—6%, 3%, and 1% versus the Blue Cash Everyday’s 3%, 2%, and 1%—but with an annual fee of $95. If you’re confident you’d exceed $6,000 on groceries per year with the Blue Cash Everyday, consider applying for the Blue Cash Preferred for higher cash back rates that will eclipse the annual fee.
Bottom Line: Is the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Right for You?
The Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express is a solid cash back credit card that boasts no annual fee. While it offers rewards in commonly used categories, those who spend above-average amounts in those categories may consider an upgrade to the Preferred card, despite its $95 annual fee.4.10 Blue Cash Everyday Card
Author: Jeff Gitlen
Your Guide to Financial Freedom
Money tips, advice, and news once a week
Join the LendEDU newsletter!Thanks for submitting!Please Enter a valid email
Best Credit Cards by Type
Credit Cards by Brand