American Eagle Credit Card Review: What to Know About the AEO Connected
American Eagle offers two credit cards, both of which reward frequent AE shoppers with generous perks. However, you can get many of the same benefits by joining AE’s free rewards program that doesn’t require a hard credit inquiry for approval.
- Generous rewards for American Eagle and Aerie purchases
- 20% off birthday coupon
- Personal shopping day coupon
- Six cardholder events annually
- Buy 5 jeans, get 1 free
- Buy 5 bras, get 1 free
- Rewards can only be redeemed at American Eagle and Aerie stores
- AE Connected card can only be used at American Eagle or Aerie stores
- Very high APR
- Rewards certificates generally expire in 45 days
Recommended Credit Score
- Fair or good credit
AEO Credit Card: Earn Free Clothes & Shipping from American Eagle
American Eagle offers two credit card options for fans of the clothing retailer: the AEO Connected credit card, which is a store-only card, and the AEO Connected Visa, which can be used anywhere Visa is accepted. Both cash back cards are issued by Synchrony Bank.
Although the AEO Connected Visa can be used anywhere, you’ll still get the most points for shopping with AE — and you can only redeem rewards for American Eagle and Aerie merchandise. Such limitations are common with store-branded credit cards. Still, if you are a frequent American Eagle or Aerie shopper, the card’s in-store perks may be very attractive.
In this review:
- Benefits of the American Eagle Credit Card
- Downsides of the American Eagle Card
- Rates, Fees & Other Basic Info
- How They Compare to Similar Cards
- Is There an Aerie Credit Card?
- American Eagle Credit Card Login
Benefits of the American Eagle Credit Card
Both American Eagle credit cards provide many of the same discounts and special perks, although the biggest difference between them is that the AEO Connected Visa can be used outside of AE and Aerie stores.
|Card Benefit||AEO Connected Credit Card||AEO Connected Visa|
|20% off your first AEO Connected credit card purchase||Yes||Yes|
|Free standard shipping||Yes||Yes|
|Earn 15 points per $1 spent at American Eagle or Aerie||Yes||Yes|
|20% off birthday coupon||Yes||Yes|
|Buy 5 jeans, get 1 free||Yes||Yes|
|Buy 5 bras, get 1 free||Yes||Yes|
|Personal Shopping Day coupon||Yes||Yes|
|6 annual cardholder events||Yes||Yes|
|Earn 5 points per $1 spent anywhere Visa is accepted||No||Yes|
American Eagle Rewards
Some of the biggest benefits of American Eagle’s two credit cards include:
- Earn 15 points for each $1 spent at American Eagle or Aerie. You can redeem 2,500 points for a $10 reward to be used at AE or Aerie stores.
- Cardholders get multiple opportunities to earn 20% off at American Eagle and Aerie, including 20% off your first card purchase and 20% off on your birthday.
- Enjoy free standard shipping on all AE purchases when you buy online.
- Score invitations to special events throughout the year, including a Personal Shopping Day and six annual cardholder events.
- Earn free stuff, including a free pair of jeans for every five pairs you buy or a free bra for every five bras you buy.
The AEO Connected Visa also lets cardholders earn five points per $1 spent anywhere else Visa is accepted. Given that Visa can be used at most merchants, this can seriously accelerate their rewards earnings.
Downsides of the American Eagle Card
Although it does offer generous rewards, the AE card also has some downsides to consider:
- The annual percentage rate (APR) is a variable 28.24%. There is no 0% intro interest rate on purchases or balance transfers, so as soon as you don’t pay your balance in full by your statement due date, you’ll start incurring interest charges.
- Your AEO Connected card can only be used at American Eagle stores and Aerie stores.
- Your AEO Connected Visa Charges a 3% foreign transaction fee if you use your card outside of the United States.
- Rewards can only be redeemed at American Eagle and Aerie Stores.
If you think you’ll take advantage of the 20% off coupons, special cardholder events, and other perks, this card’s rewards can be worth it. But even frequent shoppers may find getting an AE card is unnecessary, given they can enjoy many of the same benefits simply by becoming a part of the AEO Connected Rewards program. You’ll still earn points on purchases and will receive the same $10 reward for every 2,500 points earned.
Membership in the AEO Connected Rewards program is free and comes with an exclusive birthday offer and access to members-only sales and events, just as you would if you got the credit card.
Rates, Fees & Other Basic Info
Most of the rates and fees are the same whether you choose the AEO Connected card or the AEO Connected Visa card — but since the Visa can be used at more places, you could potentially incur some additional fees. This table explains the differences:
|AEO Connected Credit Card||AEO Connected Visa|
|Cash Advance Fee||N/A||29.24%|
|Late Payment Fee||Up to $38||Up to $38|
|Credit Needed||Fair to Good||Fair to Good|
|Rewards Rates||15 points per $1 spent at American Eagle||15 points per $1 spent at American Eagle|
5 points per $1 spent everywhere else Visa is accepted
How They Compare to Similar Cards
Like most store credit cards, either of the American Eagle cards mostly appeals to frequent AE or Aerie shoppers. However, the AEO cards do offer some perks and benefits some other store cards don’t, such as multiple discounts throughout the year and the chance to earn free merchandise.
AEO Connected Visa Credit Card vs. Victoria’s Secret Angel Credit Card
Victoria’s Secret is another merchant that offers a similar store card, known as the Victoria’s Secret Angel Card.
Like American Eagle, the Victoria’s Secret Angel Card provides special perks on cardmembers birthdays. However, its rewards rate is much lower, with cardholders earning just one point per $1 spent on eligible purchases. It’s worth pointing out, though, that you’ll earn a $10 reward for every 250 points you accrue, compared to $10 for every 2,500 points you earn with the AE cards.
Victoria’s Secret does allow you to earn triple points on all bra purchases, though, and you can choose up to three days annually to get triple points on other purchases.
Overall, the rewards programs are competitive, so it’s just a question of which store you prefer to shop at.
Is There an Aerie Credit Card?
Both American Eagle credit cards can be used at Aerie, so there is no need for a separate card.
American Eagle Credit Card Login
You can visit AE.com to log in for either of the two American Eagle rewards cards and to access account management tools. Customer service can be reached via live chat or at this phone number: 1-888-232-4535.
Bottom Line: Is the American Eagle Credit Card Right for You?
With no annual fee and a relatively easy qualifying process, applying for one of the American Eagle Outfitters credit cards might make sense if you shop regularly at American Eagle or Aerie and will take advantage of the myriad perks.
Of course, if you would prefer a cash back credit card that offers more flexibility in earning and redeeming rewards, you could also just opt to join AEO’s Connected Rewards program without getting an American Eagle credit card.
Author: Christy Rakoczy
Join the LendEDU Newsletter
News, insights, & tips once a weekThanks for submittingPlease Enter a valid email
Best Credit Cards by Type
Credit Cards by Brand